Handling babies

jahphotogal

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
CT
Last year, when we got our first chicks, I didn't want to handle them too much - i thought they'd be scared, cold, traumatized, etc we we mostly left them alone. This year it's like the second child where the pacifier falls on the ground - you brush it off and give it back to the baby. We've been playing (gently) with the new chicks much more - I figure maybe they'll be more socialized to us earlier on. But is that OK? Was I right last year?

I'm sure they're fine. I usually leave mine alone the first couple of days after their traumatic voyage through the mail, but after that, handling them gently and not too often (i.e., let them have a good amount of "down time") is fine. In fact, it'll socialize them to you more to be handled by you. Just be careful not to drop them. They'll try to jump, as I'm sure you've found, and they can break a leg or otherwise get hurt. Last year, I received a shipment of chicks and there was one who had obviously been dropped at the hatchery during packaging because it's little leg was broken quite badly. =(

I have handled mine from the get go and they are quite used to me now, and in fact, my little black astrolorph, comes running every time I open the cage and jumps onto my hand. She likes to sleep on my shoulder. She is so sweet. Her name is Mable.
She is the little black fuzzball on my shoulder! :)

Last edited:
Handling the chicks really helps to make them more socialized. I have them in my living room and every once and a while someone will come get a chick to hold. My first batch of chickens ( now grown) we handled a lot and now they come when called. The second set came when we had a lot going on in our personal life, so they got handled less. You can tell because they aren't' nearly as friendly.
So I say handle away!!!

We got our girls as 1 day olds. We handled them EVERY day without fail. 2x a day usually. They are now just about the friendliest chickens ever and have absolutely no fear of us.

Back
Top Bottom