handling frequency

barefootboy

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
alright so i am fairly new to all of this so i apologize for any naivety in advance.
anyway... i started keeping coturnix quail a few weeks ago with a friend of mine. we have 5 almost adults (about 6 weeks) and 10 little cheepers, maybe a week old. everything has been going perfectly *knocks on wood* in terms of temp control, food, water, and all that jazz. the biggest issue i have faced so far has been with my partner; my understanding is that you should check the birds over regularly to make sure there are no major blemishes, injuries, or issues with them, and that in checking them its alright to pick them up ever day or every other day to thoroughly look them over. my partner, however, seems to think that this regular handling will somehow damage the bird. i understand with the chicks that they have not developed their immune system so i make it a point to wash my hands before and after handling, but aside from this is there any harm in picking them up every once in a while. If she had it her way, we would never even touch the birds, which to me seems ridiculous because id expect they would freak out come butchering day if they had never been held before and all the sudden this giant hand comes in a grabs them and takes them away form the rest of their buddies....
anyway... i just want the best information possible to make my birds as happy as they can possibly be, and while i do enjoy handling them, i will leave them be if it will benefit them.

thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide!

matt

I started handling and talking to mine when they were two days old and they are now the most docile birds. I don't handle them much anymore but they dont run when I change out the feed and water. That's just my experience. Sure some of the oldtimers would have better info for you.

Back
Top Bottom