Handling new chicks

109991_img_0397.jpg

love.gif
aww so cute how could you not play with them.
My kiddos 14 and 6 handle our week old chicks every day. They also handled our older girls when they were babies-makes them friendly
thumbsup.gif

My kids handle ours everyday as well and they are super friendly. I do understand what you mean though. For the first 2 or 3 days I did limit handling time because the little girls needed to rest and grow. I would let them play for about 20 min then ban them from the brooder for an hour or two since they couldn't seem to keep their hands out of it. I was also unpopular for a few days, but the chicks are now a few months old and the kids play with them every day for as long as they want and I'm back to being super mom (until I start assigning cleaning chores
smile.png
)

Quote:
x2!

Four out of my five kids play with our chicks every day (the youngest kid is one, and he just says, "Hi babies!"--no holding for him!) and they love it. The first thing they do when they get home from school is to go straight to the brooder and get their girls for some one on one time. Handling makes them friendlier as they grow older, for sure!

Last edited:
My kids held ours constantly.. I am like you I always told them, that's enough.. I am glad they held the first batch so much, cuz my Buff Orpingtons come right up to me and crouch down to be picked up.. They will definitely be more friendly the more they are held... Chicks are pretty tough, as long as the kids are gentle they should be fine..

Back
Top Bottom