handling RIR chicks

rhode island redsy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
We just got 5 RIR chicks and wondering if we should handel them alot or when to start handling the chicks. This is because we would like to be able to hold them when they are bigger.

I would start holding them now. I take two at a time out and hold them for 20 minutes or so.
smile.png

Im sure you could hold them longer I just put them back after a little while with their friends.

Last edited:
i have been picking them up but they seem very scared and run from my hand when i go to pick them up. i move slow they are only 6 or 7 days

I got a batch of different breeds, PR, BO, EE, and Light brahmas. The ones that were most interested in jumping onto my finger or arm were the BR's. They seemed pretty friendly right off but I started picking them up as soon as I got them.
smile.png

I hatched some standard cochins and everytime I open the door to the brooder they all jump out onto my leg! They are so interested and friendly.

I have never had RIR chicks though.
hu.gif

I would say hold em alot two at a time so they have a buddy with them. That way they get used to it early.

Last edited:
My rir, though they are classified as a docile breed, were much more wary of my contact than my buff orps and barred rocks. But still, you should handle them every day if you want them to get used to you. Don't let their skittishness ward you off. They have to learn from you that you are safe, and you are the provider. Another thing to do to get them a little less afraid is to feed them from your hand, especially if you have a treat for them. It's a little early to do much with treats yet, but when you start, food is the way to the heart of a chicken, hands down.

Back
Top Bottom