Handling skittish/flighty chicks that haven’t been conditioned

I don't make pets out of my chickens but I handle then when they need to be handled by either taking them off the roost at night or blocking them into a corner so I can catch them.

When doing the latter it's important to be calm and gentle while cornering them and, unless catching someone who is outside the fence and in danger, not making wild grabs.
Yes, this is what I needed to hear.
Thank you❤️

I've never had a chick that didn't like a small piece of bread.
Oh good to know thank you. They weren’t going for the mealworms and have been surprised not for the egg either. My first batch loved the mealworms and egg they lost their mind over😆.
Will give bread a go.
Anything else super enticing I should try?

Oh good to know thank you. They weren’t going for the mealworms and have been surprised not for the egg either. My first batch loved the mealworms and egg they lost their mind over😆.
Will give bread a go.
Anything else super enticing I should try?
No, I only do the younger one's with the pieces of bread, because I know that it's easy enough for them to digest at that age.

Same here! I've had 4 hens purchased from a local farm who are absolutely terrified of me and everything else. I've had a Treadle feeder for 6 months now and they're still terrified of it whenever one of them steps on it and the lid opens.

I recently hand raised 14 chicks who have no fear of me and don't flinch one bit when the treadle feeder lid suddenly opens up. In fact they look forward to it as they know goodies are inside!
I’ve tried over so many months the treadle feeder and given up. I’m trying this next tho I don’t suspect the squirrels will be deterred.

Attachments

• 5EE137BD-EBD7-4EFB-9F5E-FE0EC0BF0169.png
    5EE137BD-EBD7-4EFB-9F5E-FE0EC0BF0169.png
    727 KB · Views: 5
I don't make pets out of my chickens but I handle then when they need to be handled by either taking them off the roost at night or blocking them into a corner so I can catch them.

When doing the latter it's important to be calm and gentle while cornering them and, unless catching someone who is outside the fence and in danger, not making wild grabs.
I don’t need my chickens to sit in my lap (I have two needy Great Danes lap dog rescues for that😆), but also don’t want to be terrifying them any time they need to be handled.
Thanks again for the tips🙏🏻.

I don’t need my chickens to sit in my lap (I have two needy Great Danes lap dog rescues for that😆), but also don’t want to be terrifying them any time they need to be handled.
Thanks again for the tips🙏🏻.

I can barely walk in my coop and run because they crowd around my feet hoping for treats of garden weeds, cabbage cores, carrot peels, etc.

I talk to them constantly when I'm in there so they're used to the sound of my voice.

They don't want to be caught or touched, but they like to be close.

Back
Top Bottom