1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Handling the Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dionna77, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Dionna77

Dionna77 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    I am new to own baby chicks. I have 3 chicks and I want to get them used to me handling them. Right now when I go to pick them up they freak out and run away and squeak at me. I know it takes time to get them used to being held and used to people. But some one told me that since I have 3 chicks it is going to be harder for me to get used to me and develop a bond with them. I am looking for tips and any ideas of how I can do this.

Thanks,
    Dionna

2. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    My kids hold the babies from the day we bring them home. I start off putting some meal worms in my hand and laying it in the bottom of the cage. That way they get used to your hand and presence. I read somewhere that if you make the same sound each time you are around them, it gets them used to you AND relates that sound with food so it will be easier to get them to come when older. So far I have found this to be true. I should say that mine STILL frun from me . They definitely don't come like dogs. Haha
    Good Luck!

3. Dionna77

Mar 1, 2015
    What age can you give treats I some one told me that you shouldn't give them meal worms until they are older is that true just wondered? Also are you giving them live meal worms or dry ones?

Thanks for the advice I will try that helped a lot [​IMG]

4. freenerik

freenerik Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    I usually don't start treats until my chicks are about 3 weeks old that is my preference though,I know people who give treats a lot sooner. just remember once they get anything other then chick starter they need to be given baby grit also.

5. Dionna77

Mar 1, 2015
    What is baby grits and why do I have to give it to them? So is it better just to wait then?

6. freenerik

Mar 7, 2015
    baby grit is very fine grit you can find in any feed store. You need to provide it because birds need grit to help with the digestion. chick starter is made to be eaten with or without but anything else will not be be properly ground in the gizzard then you have a whole new set of problems. My adult chickens free range so they get what they need on their own but chicks are unable to so you can leave a small dish in the brooder (they only eat what they need) or you can sprinkle it in their crumbles. hope that helps

7. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    Would sand work as baby grit?

8. freenerik

Mar 7, 2015
    I don't see why not, but I've never tried it I have used clean fine gravel though and it worked fine.

9. backyardmomma

backyardmomma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    northern California
    Thank you i have medium grit sand and peat gravel.

10. smcdermott

smcdermott Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Central Fl
    We have been giving all of our chickens mealworms since about day 5. 1 tiny amount a day and have had NO problems at all. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by