Handling very young pet chicks: Yea or Nay?

My poor hen, Penguin, has been, cuttled, loved, squeezed, poked, petted, held and ..yea.. occasionaly she got a kiss, from hour 2 on out.... :) shes the most docile little thing ever! ps. I know you arent supposed to kiss chickens. Oh well.

The more handleing the more docile, GO FOR IT!

Todd,

What breed is your rooster? Do you have a picture of him? Do you mean he has never once tried to peck at you???

I have a rooster that follows me everywhere and he has never tried to peck me or tried to keep me away from the hens. When I let them out for the evening I always sit on the grass and watch them for a bit and he will sit with me and watch his girls too. When I get up to leave, he will follow me to the door and when I don't let him in he just goes back to the flock and resumes hunting and scratching.

Aahh! That sounds so sweet!
I have a rooster that follows me everywhere and he has never tried to peck me or tried to keep me away from the hens. When I let them out for the evening I always sit on the grass and watch them for a bit and he will sit with me and watch his girls too. When I get up to leave, he will follow me to the door and when I don't let him in he just goes back to the flock and resumes hunting and scratching.

Yes Yes YES play with them often as you can...I have mine in the house...i have hard wood floors thankfully...they fly out of their coop and come sit in my lap while i am on the comp and when i watch tv...my husband isnt real happy how warm i keep the house for them to fly around and play...but oh well he is the 1 that brought them in...
yesss.gif
I have so much fun with them..I have 1 that doesnt really like to be cuddled but seems to be coming around a little...this is my first time so i am still learning but i have noticed they like to be stroked on their chest...they get real still when i do this makes it much easier to pick them up and put them back in their coop to eat and drink....which i have to do about every 45 min...cause as soon as they are done they are right back out runnin around the house...I do alot of floor steaming to keep thing clean for them....yep they are spoiled....it is funny when we put them in at nite they stay all nite till they see someone get up then out they come...LOVE THEM

That pic is AH DOR AH BULLL~!
yippiechickie.gif

I have two small breed dogs ( Brussels Griffon) and a Rottie…I have been planning how to socialize them to the chicks…..how did you guys with dogs approach that ?? VERY interested in your input….
Best Regards, Phoenixwmn

Does anyone know of a video or pictures that show proper handling. I'm new to chickens, but with horses and dogs there are things you do to prepare them for when they are older and there are proper ways of doing it. I'm petting and loving on my 30 day old SLW's but I know that they'll be a day when they are SO much bigger and their claws/feet will be to rough to let them rest on my hand. Plus, I want my chicks to be used to whatever type handling for meds I might need to do. Surely there are some guidelines somewhere - an organization, club, show info. Showing horses there are certain things that in certain classes you had to do. I'd think there would be something like this somewhere....I love this site - but SO many comments that I've spent the last 1 1/2 hours looking and still haven't found a picture or video.
Video anyone?
Thanks!

Does anyone know of a video or pictures that show proper handling. I'm new to chickens, but with horses and dogs there are things you do to prepare them for when they are older and there are proper ways of doing it. I'm petting and loving on my 30 day old SLW's but I know that they'll be a day when they are SO much bigger and their claws/feet will be to rough to let them rest on my hand. Plus, I want my chicks to be used to whatever type handling for meds I might need to do. Surely there are some guidelines somewhere - an organization, club, show info. Showing horses there are certain things that in certain classes you had to do. I'd think there would be something like this somewhere....I love this site - but SO many comments that I've spent the last 1 1/2 hours looking and still haven't found a picture or video.
Video anyone?
Thanks!

Have you searched YouTube? I found several on how to give meds orally, how to hold them, how to make the vomit. Ect...

Thanks for the suggestion....I don't know why I hadn't looked there....I found several and feel I have a better understanding. THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom