Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    HUM, I wonder if you have hot and cold spots in your bator. The first one i would say he's gone. Second one, is the mass in the air cell?

2. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Sounds like the first one quit on you, the second one, sounds like he ran out of air. Poor things, Sorry for you loss...

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    TO LATE!!!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I candled tonight! I'm so proud of me!! I have no idea what I saw in most of them, but I did it and didn't break any eggs! Do I win a prize?? Some of them still have very floaty air cells. A few of them had very obvious veining. And there were a lot that looked like the top 1/4 to half of the egg was solid dark and the bottom part light, but I couldn't see anything else in them. But I didn't break any!!

3 people like this.
  5. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Well done and welcome to stage one of the addiction!!! What day is it for you?

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yay!! Good job!!

7. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    I need help. I helped a Mal positioned chick who pipped the wrong end. From reading here I saw it would have not absorbed the yolk yet so I just got it out of the exterior sack enough to breath and left the interior sack on along with most of the shell then I sat it with wet towel over the exposed area. It finished getting out about 5 hours later but still has a bit of yolk not absorbed and I can't push it in since the abdomen has closed up. It is maybe a bit smaller than a pencil eraser. Any suggestions?

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If it's that small, most likely it will take care of itself. (Probably mostly just the membrane at that point.) Keep it clean and make sure it's not in with others that might peck at it. Eventually it will dry up and fall off.

9. tabinal

tabinal Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks, it is alone in the bator so maybe it will be ok. It was attached to the shell by that which helped zero% and I snipped it off. I figure the worst that can happen is it will die which it surely would have done anyway if I had not helped. Thanks to the good info on wrong end piping here, I was able to get to this point. Thanks.

10. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Hello just joining, but WOW I wish I had found this thread before! Thanks for the less critical encouragement&points posted...
    Just did our first hatch (after finding this site) everything was whacky-bater got unplugged for 3+hours(accident). Candeled on day 20(pre-pip) had miscalculated days possibly. First Chick hatched in day 20...
    [​IMG]
    Still going strong. I took it out too early but thank heavens- because the rest got cooked [​IMG] they looked like dehydrated jerky. HAD I helped I'd have a lot more chicks right now,,,BUT dusting myself off and trying again soon! DEF a student here&thanks for all those who share it does help a ton!

I wish I knew what to tell you about that bit of sac left, but if that chicks eating&drinking or at least alert. I would wait&see if it resolves itself. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by