Handsome Boy!

PeiTheCelt

Songster
12 Years
Sep 3, 2007
Central NY
So if you saw the post on the trade/sell/give away board noting a silver spangled hamburg in need of rescue in Newfield NY, well, he has a home, and OMG is he handsome!!! He is actually a Brahma (editted: got my comb types mixed up, he's got the triple, which is the pea comb (oops), so he is probably 100% given how much he matches the look). He's got some yellow to his feathers (which I am assuming is due to the conditions he's been living in) and his feathers are kind of ragged, but.. I think the core of what is there is SO handsome..

He's pretty easy going and seems really happy with his new territory (he's been crowing for about 10 minutes solid, but we can barely hear him through our walls, so I don't think our neighbors (unless they're outside) will have any problems).. Our 'makeshift' coop is not fantastic, but it will work while we finish up the REAL coop (I'm pushing for a perfect cube, painted dark grey, since we've started calling the eggs The Collective (and now the geeks all laugh, everyone else looks a little confused..
big_smile.png
)).

He was living (and had been his whole life) in essentially a cat carrier. I can't guarantee that he won't eventually be eaten (he might) but in the mean time, at least he will be well fed, loved on and given some room to run around. I sat with him for about 15 minutes after we got home, but he was starting to look stressed, so I moved outside (and kept my daughter from sticking her finger into his run space.. *laughs*)

Once the eggs hatch he'll have some company, so he'll be a little lonely in the meantime, but.. One thing at a time, better space now, and company soon!
smile.png
(And the next project that didn't get done just in time is attaching hardware cloth to the bottom 2 feet or so of his run for better raccoon protection, I'm REALLY nervous right now).

Anyway, for those who want to see the boy, photos!

(and a link to a short video of him on you tube:
(not the best camera, but.. ya' know))

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

Last edited:
He's beautiful! Are you going to get him some ladies?? Even Communist roosters like the ladies.

I'm so glad someone took him... I thought about it, but I have one rooster already and that would be asking for some serious trouble....

Quote:
Yeah, it's just going to be a slight delay while they hatch and grow..
wink.png
It's a bit of a delay, but I figure it's got to be better than sitting by himself in a 2x2 brooder box!

Quote:
Tee-hee.. He seemed to take today pretty well, which is a good sign! The animal control officer locally who we picked him up from this afternoon had him just in her arms, and he was okay even with our daughter petting him (though she is really good about being gentle with animals so that helps)

He was definitely doing the "I am a rooster, fear me" posturing some, but he also let me pet him and take it easy with him, so.. He's got to be pretty darn easy going. *laughs*

He's beautiful! I do think that since it will be 5 months or more until you can put your new babies in with him that he'd be better off with one or two ladies just for company. And congratulations on your rescue!!

I must admit, I got excited when I read Silver Spangled Hamburg (our "Rare" cockeral from MMH is my fave!). However, that guy is gorgeous!

Dawn

Quote:
I know.. *sigh* I'm seriously thinking about asking my husband if he'll mind getting two younger girls (he's not very old himself, maybe a year based on his spur, it's only about an inch long) from friends (surely one of the local chicken people have 1-2 they'd sell us, or let us borrow until our girls are a little older. Though to be fair I'm going to start introducing them all fairly early if at all possible (not leaving them alone together, just introducing them and letting them interact some under controlled situations) so it won't be too too long. (But I *do* know they are social creatures and he'd be MUCH happier with some hens to keep him company, and he will (one way or the other, eventually have just that.. ))

Quote:
Yeah, he is such a handsome boy, the SSH's are also very cute (and we'd picked out his name all ready (Mac, short for McNugget (McDonalds, hamburgers, hamburg... okay it's dumb lol)) but I am really happy with him. He's really handsome and really sweet.

(and very talkative lol)

Back
Top Bottom