Handy and Helpful Hints for you Home. Everyone please add your own.

ImStillMags

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Here are a few helpful hints for your home. I would love to hear others from you guys too.

To clean burnt on residue from the bottom of a saucepan, pour vinegar over it and place in the freezer overnight. Allow to partially thaw, then add a handful of bicarb of soda and scrub with a nylon brush as it fizzes.

Instead of using a metal ring, fry an egg in a thickly cut circle of bell pepper (red or green, your choice).And if you don't have a pepper handy, onion rings work also. Either way, I like to fry them a few minutes on both sides before adding the eggs. Looks and tastes great, and saves on the washing up.

Sprinkle a few drops of lemon oil onto your cobweb broom before cleaning away cobwebs. Spiders hate the lemon oil and won't return to that spot.

Add the peel of an apple to the saucepan or m'wave dish when you're cooking cauliflower and there will be no smell.

Pop a few cloves, broken cinnamon bark and bay leaves into ready made organza gift bags (from craft stores). Then tuck the bags amongst your woolens for a sweet smelling way to keep the moths at bay during Summer months.

To deodorize smelly shoes, mix a few drops of lavender or tea tree oil into bicarb of soda, pack the mixture into a sock or stocking and leave in the shoes overnight. Add extra oil when re-using.

After you've cleaned leather shoes with polish, rub them over with the back of a hot spoon. This will help waterproof them and keep them shiny and scuff free for much longer.

Unpleasant smell in the dishwasher?? Fill the powder compartment with bicarb of soda and the rinse aid dispenser with white vinegar. Run the empty machine on a full wash cycle and the smell will be gone.

Use a sewing machine? Tape a plastic bag to the front of your sewing table to catch all the snipped threads and trimmed edges. It'll save picking them up off the floor.

Last edited:
Uh, I have one...

Honey's useful, not only for sweetening foods naturally, but as a remedy. It serves as an antiseptic when applied to burns and other wounds (since it's slightly acidic, bacteria can't grow in it, and when mixed with fluids from damaged tissue it forms naturally-occurring hydrogen peroxide with less discomfort than the bottled stuff, and that causes less tissue damage when applied.) It can also help relieve headache, stomachache, fatigue, sore throat, etc... And, oddly enough, is a good moisturizer that can help with pimples (though it's a bit too sticky for me to like using very often.)

Quote:
Tea tree oil is toxic to cats, so if you have a cat it is best to not use it all at anywhere that they may be able to get to it. But if you don't have cats it makes a great flea/tick/mosquito repellent for dogs or yourself. You could also use it in your dogs bedding. Lavender also can be used and is safe for cats. I use a lavender/ceder oil mixed with water in a spritz bottle as a bug repellent when we take the dogs for walks in the woods. I use it on the dogs and humans.

Back
Top Bottom