hanging feeder for emus?

JK Farms & Sanctuary

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Santa rosa
The emu's have out grown the chicken pen so I moved them into the pigs pen (potbellies) and they have much more space now...however my dilemma was that I couldnt figure out how to feed them without the pigs getting to it first --- so I hung their feeder (like the hanging chicken/poultry ones) just below head level for them.... Its been a few days and I have not seen them eat from it at all but theyv got to be starving otherwise! I cant judge by whether its been disturbed or not because Tilly one of my potbellies is jumping and getting it swinging to slosh food out of the sides... So my question is: Is there some undefined rule that emus will only look to the ground for food or will they eventually start eating out of the feeder?

They aren't the brightest birds, but you gotta love em! I would stand at the feed and just take handful after handful and let them hear you drop it back in then let them watch you do it until they figure out what its that you are doing and then get the idea that it is food. The only baskets I used with mine was for fresh weeds, otherwise everyone ate out of the same bowls, troughs, ground, etc. I can imagine being with pigs, that may be a little difficult, but you may be able to train the pigs to eat out of hangers before the emu, lol.

Wow. That's a tough one..one we are soon facing ourselves. Did you figure it out? our emu lives with the chickens but will soon not fut through hole to go in at night. Everytime we try and move him to another pen like with our Ostrich or goats/sheep he whistles and runs the fence line for hours so we always put him back in with his chickens. Lol

The hanging feeder only lasted a few days before Tilly, one of my youngest and more active potbellys broke the bottom off of it, so for now the food dish is one the other side of the fence and the emu's are sticking their heads through the holes in the fencing to eat.... and some seem to mind this, however this will only be until their heads outgrow the holes OR I'll have to cut away some holes to make room for them until they are tall enough to reach a hanging feeder out of PIG reach... and then will hopefully learn that it produces food and to eat out of it.

As younger babies there were in the chicken pen too, and still even after about a month being in the bigger pig pen they are still chirping and running the fence line too however, Ive noticed that there are periods during the day where they go forage and spazz out and dont pay attention to getting on the other side... luckily for them, their chicken friends hop the fence and come play several times a day.

NuOh ok that's reassuring...the fact That they are trying to adjust. And yes we thought about putting chickens over in the sheep/goat own to make him feel more comfortable ..but the food thing is still an issue..What do you feed your emus? Was feeding the chicken feed But recently trying to give him ostrich food..no interest. Loves egg shells and blueberries!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom