hanging heated waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckey, Oct 13, 2014.

1. cluckey

cluckey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Do these exist? My water is faulty and with winter coming I thought my next waterer would be heated. The coop is not entirely level and even with shims I don't trust waters that can't be hung for this coop. Any suggestions? I saw someone said the plastic ones catch fire easily. ..?

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

3. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    I've found the metal vacuum waterers just don't work well for my coop. I'm interested to see if there is a metal water that screws on the bowl like the plastic ones.

4. evemfoster

evemfoster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    I bought the first waterer on the page. The 3 gallon plastic one. Don't buy it, its crap. It will only work on a perfectly level floor. The water in the drinking area comes up to less than a quarter inch from the top edge. Anything under the waterer will make all the water run out.

I bought mine the first of May and it didn't even last to mid September. It was always unwieldy. You have to turn it upside down to fill it then flip it upright after its full. Half the time the top would come back off as it was flipped over and all that water would slosh all over the run. When it started getting cool (only in the 60's) i set the top down a little roughly and the plastic top that was soft and wobbly in hot weather shattered.

I never did plug in the base to see how well the heater worked, but i wouldn't trust it one bit now.

I am planning to use a bucket with horizontal nipples and suspending a small low wattage fish bowl heater in the water to keep it from freezing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  5. cluckey

Sep 17, 2014
    That sounds like a great idea! I can't believe it's this hard to find something that works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by