Happy Chickens

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
So I always thought my chickens were happy before and, I mean, they sort of were, but lately I've been letting them out to free range for a few hours every day for the past few days and they are SO much happier. And they are SO quiet when they free range that I can't believe it. And the eggs are much better and yolks darker.

I mean, they've free ranged before, I let them out here and there, but it was never consistent. But just seeing how much happier they are now that they've been out a few days in a row makes ME happy.

In the run they seem to constantly squawk, cluck, etc. But outside they're so busy foraging they don't make a peep. Well, actually they do, but it's much quieter and it's their happy, content clucking. :)

And yesterday or the other day they found a prime dust bathing spot, a circle of dirt where we had a large kiddy pool sitting for a while, so they have been bathing too which is hilarious.

I will post the pictures below

Last edited:
Some pictures from Wednesday and Thursday

20170517_190236.jpg 20170517_190346.jpg 20170517_190350.jpg 20170517_190357.jpg 20170517_190747.jpg 20170518_180449.jpg 20170518_195409.jpg 20170518_195413.jpg

Yes! I know what you mean! I just let mine out recently after several months of confinement-- their joy is palpable. This is how it's meant to be, I think every time I see them. I love seeing them peek in the glass sliding door, or run to greet me while I'm doing chores. And the eggs are so much better and better for us. (Yes I did lose one to a predator last year, but the four remaining turned their 500 sq. ft. run into a desert, and after one died in captivity, I couldn't stand it any longer and let them out in the daytime.)
I am now raising some brown leghorn pullets as it has been claimed they are excellent free rangers and
free ranging (3 of 1).jpg
good at evading predators. And meanwhile, I am entrusting them to Divine Protection..
Here's a pic of Rocket and Sheila, "girls on grass."

You put it so much better and more elegantly than I did! And that is exactly what I think too! Chickens are meant to be out roaming around. Mine love to come up on the deck and look in the glass doors too! And they used to come running whenever I came out and still sometimes too but now that I have been letting them out consistently and also don't bring them treats every time anymore, they're kinda like ehhh whatever. :lau yes exactly, you can lose them in captivity too so it's worth letting them be happy imo. I am still too nervous to let them out all day when I can't watch them or when I'm not home but I have been letting them out more and more. I hope they turn out well for you! My EEs are pretty flighty and aware as well as my BR, not really flighty but smart, and I worry about the Orpingtons lol

Your birds are beautiful!! :)

My Barred Rock is May, short for Mayflower, and my 2 Black Australorps are Blackie and Beauty (for Black Beauty), and one of my Easter Eggers is Bunny.... I am not very creative :lau

The chickens are Diva, (the white/creamish laced EE) because when she was a chick she was dust bathing well after the others had gotten up and just would not get up until her sister ran over her soooo..... she was being a diva :lau

The Orpingtons are Angel, Penny, and Amber.

Back
Top Bottom