Happy cluck greetings!

Melinda Beyers

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
I have 6 hens that I started at one day old on April 17th. They have their own 900 sq. ft. hen yard and my Caucasian Ovcharka guards them faithfully from her side of the fence. When the local chick breeder asked me which breeds I wanted, I told her to bring me one of each. I have a Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Barred Rock, Lace-winged Wyandotte, Black Sexlink, and, I was told, an Ameraucana. As far as I can tell all the hens are laying now, but there are no blue-green eggs. After researching on this site, I'm pretty sure Connie is an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. I'm surprised at how sad I am that I won't have blue-green eggs to go with the lovely white, and shades of brown.
But the other issue I have that can, hopefully, be helped, is how to discourage Berry, the Barred Rock, from eating the eggs? This morning is the first time I've seen her with one. Thank you for the help!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Once they start this bad habit, it's hard to break them. Make sure to keep fake eggs in the nest boxes at all times, and collect eggs as often as possible. I had a bunch of egg eaters at one point. I found by covering the front of the nest boxes with curtains and a tiny slit down the middle to slip though, helped greatly. It makes it dark on the inside, birds go in, lay and leave. The others can't cruise for eggs from the outside. Eventually mine quit.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

I have 6 hens that I started at one day old on April 17th. They have their own 900 sq. ft. hen yard and my Caucasian Ovcharka guards them faithfully from her side of the fence. When the local chick breeder asked me which breeds I wanted, I told her to bring me one of each. I have a Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Barred Rock, Lace-winged Wyandotte, Black Sexlink, and, I was told, an Ameraucana. As far as I can tell all the hens are laying now, but there are no blue-green eggs. After researching on this site, I'm pretty sure Connie is an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. I'm surprised at how sad I am that I won't have blue-green eggs to go with the lovely white, and shades of brown.
But the other issue I have that can, hopefully, be helped, is how to discourage Berry, the Barred Rock, from eating the eggs? This morning is the first time I've seen her with one. Thank you for the help!
Welcome to BYC! I hope you enjoy our wonderful community! :welcome:frow

Back
Top Bottom