Happy Hen Deluxe Chick Corral

sweetie pie

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
Just finished putting my chick corral together. I'm planning to use it in my spare bedroom and was wondering what I should put down on the floor before I place it because I have carpet in that room. I was thinking about putting a garbage down first and then puppy pads and on top of that paper towels for the first few days then pine shavings. Just wondering if anyone has a better idea :) thanks

Maybe a small plastic tarp? Or a vinyl table cloth? You want something heavy enough that they can't scratch it up or easily put holes in it when they get a little older. Those things would also be easy to roll up and carry out when it's time to clean.

I'd get some painters plastic, the thicker stuff and put that under it and then put whatever bedding you are going to use on top of that.

I'm loving sand in the brooder. Does make a bit of a dust mess, but then the chicks make their own mess anyway.
Then some type of netting to go over top when they start to test those wings.

I am using the same thing. I first put down painters plastic, then newspaper, pine shavings and for the first couple of days paper towel. I know it sounds like alot but mine are in a spare bedroom with bare wood floors. I'm done with the paper towels - no spraddle legs yeh - and the chicks are loving to scratch the pine shavings. Since they're flying around - 3 1/2 weeks old - I went to the 2nd chance store and got large screens for the top so they can't get out. I love the corral and the lamp set up. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom