Happy olive egg mystery

LHackettsmfarm

Hatching
Feb 16, 2023
Sorry if this is a repeat! I think I accidentally deleted.
I have 6 new layers-2 buff oprpingtons, 2 golden laced Wyandottes, one speckled sussex and one silver laced Wyandotte. They just started laying at the end of January, and someone is gracing the coop with olive eggs. They are beautiful, but who could be leaving these gems?

IMG_7594.JPG
IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7477.JPG
IMG_7487.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7596.JPG
    IMG_7596.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I have 6 new layers-2 buff oprpingtons, 2 golden laced Wyandottes, one speckled sussex and one silver laced Wyandotte. They just started laying at the end of January, and someone is gracing the coop with olive eggs. They are beautiful, but who could be leaving these gems?

In the photos, they do all look right for the breeds you listed, and none of those breeds should be laying olive eggs.

Since you said these are "new layers," does that mean you also have some older hens? If so, maybe one of them is responsible for the olive eggs.

none of those breeds should be laying olive eggs.
None should be laying white either.. as pictured in photo.. indicating others are around.

They are beautiful, but who could be leaving these gems?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Those are beautiful ladies and eggs! :love

The SS doesn't look red enough to be laying.. is she well? Maybe it was just a bad angle?

In the photos, they do all look right for the breeds you listed, and none of those breeds should be laying olive eggs.

Since you said these are "new layers," does that mean you also have some older hens? If so, maybe one of them is responsible for the olive eggs.
I have had the others for well over a year. Some for more than two. I have never had an olive egg before. Quite the enigma!
I don't see any obvious olive eggers but your Sussex looks ill.
what makes you say that? I have never had an I’ll chicken.

None should be laying white either.. as pictured in photo.. indicating others are around.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Those are beautiful ladies and eggs! :love

The SS doesn't look red enough to be laying.. is she well? Maybe it was just a bad angle?
What do you see that causes you to say that?

I have had the others for well over a year. Some for more than two. I have never had an olive egg before. Quite the enigma!

Definitely a puzzle. Either one of your older birds never laid before this and just finally started, or one of your new ones is laying a color that she shouldn't be producing.

You might try shutting one up in a cage by herself to see what color egg she lays, and cycling through them one by one. Or of course you could spend hours watching (or recording) who goes into the nestbox when, and what color egg they leave behind.

There is also a DNA test for the blue egg gene. None of them "should" have it, but the olie egger clearly DOES have it.
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/product/blue-egg-gene-with-feathers-sample/
But testing all 6 of them would be rather expensive, so that would not be my first choice to sort this out.

Back
Top Bottom