1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy to be a part of BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NelsJ, May 22, 2016.

1. NelsJ

NelsJ New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    Hi! I am looking forward to being a part of BYC for information and support as I begin my journey into chicken mommyhood. I recently completed building a coop and run for my small backyard in a Los Angeles suburb. It is amazing what I could find for building plans online. A few adaptations and I had a coop to fit my small area. Building it has been part of the adventure. I live close to an elementary school and the kids and parents have all been a part of this as they watched me work in my driveway and garage day after day. Now they enjoy visiting the chicks on their way home after school.

I have 5 babies - 4 are a week older than the newest that I got this week. 5 hens is the limit in our city. They are happily growing in a cardboard brooder in my garage. They are 2 RIR, 1 Welsummer, 1 Black sex-link, and 1 Ameraucana.

I am a retired school teacher and grandma to 5, ages 1 1/2 - 11. The grandkids all live very close by and are loving the chickens (their parents have been totally supportive of grandma and her new adventure and have offered to chicken sit when I am out of town). Being a city girl (born and raised in Los Angeles) I know nothing about chickens, so will be looking forward to learning from this site. Thank you in advance for being here to help me!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congrats on getting your new chicken adventures underway :celebrate
    Sounds like you have really enjoyed building your coop!! Those are some lovely breeds you have there and I'm sure your grandchildren will really enjoy them along with yourself. The learning centre has some fab articles, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    There really is a bit about all aspects of raising your birds to be happy safe and healthy.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a very nice human family and chicken family, kind of cool you have 5 babies of each kind ... LOL.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens

5. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by