Happy with Buying Chicks at TSC

sierranomad

Chirping
Feb 2, 2015
Mokelumne Hill, CA
The last time I had chickens was 40 years ago. With egg prices going up here in California, decided to get back into it.

The past couple of weeks have been a roller-coaster: Austrolorps or RIR? or While Leghorns? or Barred Plymouth Rocks? Oh the decisions!

Finally decided on RIR. Our local feed store had a shipment of them in last week, and ran out before I could make it there. They were supposed to get another shipment this week, but it was delayed so won't be in until MOnday (yikes!).

I wanted to support the local store, but decided to check with TSC, which just opened up a few months ago. They had RIR pullets! And only 9 left. They are 3 days so at least they had a couple of days to recover from being shipped. I checked the chicks out and only employees are allowed close to them; the store personnel seemed knowledgeable and helpful, chicks seemed healthy. So I went my happy way with 6 chicks.

I tend to be a bit leary of chain stores, but had a very positive experience at my local TSC. I also noticed that their layer feed wasn't Purina, but Dumor, or something like that, and a few $$ less per 50 lb. So I'll be going back.

Congrats on the breed you wanted!
I do hope you are feeding starter feed to the chicks not layer at this stage.
Also do watch out for the pieces being to large for them to eat. You can crush them up with a rolling pin to make them smaller if need be.

I think TSC as well as other stores that sell chicks all depend on the employees. I have read negative comments about TSC but if an employee that is knowledgeable about chicks is the one that oversees the chickens it can be a positive experience. Glad you had a good one.
We get our chicks at the Grange Co-op and they have always been great. Have also heard great things about BigR another farm store in our area. I have not purchased chicks there but the staff is great at answering questions.

I only asked since you mentioned the layer feed. Always good to look forward.
I wish I had. I now have to build a second brooder since the giant one I built will not fit in the human house. DH said I cannot put the littles in the coop to brood them. He thinks they will be to cold at night and knows I would be very upset if they did poorly. DH made the final decision that they will be brooded in my office.
Aww he worries about them.
hugs.gif

The last time I had chickens was 40 years ago. With egg prices going up here in California, decided to get back into it.

The past couple of weeks have been a roller-coaster: Austrolorps or RIR? or While Leghorns? or Barred Plymouth Rocks? Oh the decisions!

Finally decided on RIR. Our local feed store had a shipment of them in last week, and ran out before I could make it there. They were supposed to get another shipment this week, but it was delayed so won't be in until MOnday (yikes!).

I wanted to support the local store, but decided to check with TSC, which just opened up a few months ago. They had RIR pullets! And only 9 left. They are 3 days so at least they had a couple of days to recover from being shipped. I checked the chicks out and only employees are allowed close to them; the store personnel seemed knowledgeable and helpful, chicks seemed healthy. So I went my happy way with 6 chicks.

I tend to be a bit leary of chain stores, but had a very positive experience at my local TSC. I also noticed that their layer feed wasn't Purina, but Dumor, or something like that, and a few $$ less per 50 lb. So I'll be going back.
DuMor is a Purina feed made specifically for TSC. If i recall correctly the calcium in it is just a notch higher than the Purina layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom