1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Happy with Buying Chicks at TSC

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sierranomad, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    The last time I had chickens was 40 years ago. With egg prices going up here in California, decided to get back into it.

The past couple of weeks have been a roller-coaster: Austrolorps or RIR? or While Leghorns? or Barred Plymouth Rocks? Oh the decisions!

Finally decided on RIR. Our local feed store had a shipment of them in last week, and ran out before I could make it there. They were supposed to get another shipment this week, but it was delayed so won't be in until MOnday (yikes!).

I wanted to support the local store, but decided to check with TSC, which just opened up a few months ago. They had RIR pullets! And only 9 left. They are 3 days so at least they had a couple of days to recover from being shipped. I checked the chicks out and only employees are allowed close to them; the store personnel seemed knowledgeable and helpful, chicks seemed healthy. So I went my happy way with 6 chicks.

I tend to be a bit leary of chain stores, but had a very positive experience at my local TSC. I also noticed that their layer feed wasn't Purina, but Dumor, or something like that, and a few $$ less per 50 lb. So I'll be going back.

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Congrats on the breed you wanted!
    I do hope you are feeding starter feed to the chicks not layer at this stage.
    Also do watch out for the pieces being to large for them to eat. You can crush them up with a rolling pin to make them smaller if need be.

3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    I think TSC as well as other stores that sell chicks all depend on the employees. I have read negative comments about TSC but if an employee that is knowledgeable about chicks is the one that oversees the chickens it can be a positive experience. Glad you had a good one.
    We get our chicks at the Grange Co-op and they have always been great. Have also heard great things about BigR another farm store in our area. I have not purchased chicks there but the staff is great at answering questions.

4. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Yes, I have them on Purina starter feed. Just looking ahead. ;)

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I only asked since you mentioned the layer feed. Always good to look forward.
    I wish I had. I now have to build a second brooder since the giant one I built will not fit in the human house. DH said I cannot put the littles in the coop to brood them. He thinks they will be to cold at night and knows I would be very upset if they did poorly. DH made the final decision that they will be brooded in my office.
    Aww he worries about them. [​IMG]

6. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    DuMor is a Purina feed made specifically for TSC. If i recall correctly the calcium in it is just a notch higher than the Purina layer feed.

7. rhino1

rhino1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    I love the local TX here. Got 7 from them the other day

8. sierranomad

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    Thanks! That is good to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by