Hard boiled eggs

TSH16

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
Williams/Grand Canyon, AZ
Been preparing my first home laid eggs and noticing that hard boiled eggs do not peel without taking a lot of the whites. Tried putting them in the fridge to cool which does the trick with store bought eggs to no avail. Is this usual with home laid eggs, is there a supplement my hens are missing?... these are Rhode Island Reds.

Fresh eggs are very hard to peel. There's nothing wrong with your girls! Here's how I do it. put the eggs in cold water making sure the water is about 2 inches over them. Pour either lots of salt - and I mean LOTS - or baking soda to the water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and boil GENTLY for about 10-15 minutes. Drain and immediately add to an ice bath. I then crack and peel them under running water. It works 99% of the time!

You will get a lot of different tricks and tips for easy-peel boiled eggs. Here is mine and it works every time, no matter how fresh the eggs are.

Bring the water to a boil FIRST
add a Tablespoon of vinegar to the water
Carefully, gently put the eggs into the boiling water
Turn the heat down so the eggs are gently simmering, not a rolling boil
Set timer for 14 minutes
Remove the eggs and put in ice water

Good luck with whatever method you try!

Before I boil eggs I leave them out on the counter for 24 to 48 hours. After they've been cooked they go straight into an ice water bath for 10 minutes. They peel easily.

Back
Top Bottom