Hard lump on left side of neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smbarber85, Oct 1, 2016.

1. smbarber85

smbarber85 New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    I noticed a hen was lethargic, not eating or drinking or coming out of her coop. Her neck looked puffier than normal so I felt around and felt a hard lump or irregularity on the left side of her neck - not her chest. She tried to eat and drink a little out of my hand but she could not lower her head - only curl it slightly inwards and lower it just a bit. I did some research and saw lots of stuff about sour/impacted crop but it looks like that's all on the right side, she does sort of stink though so I gave her lots of water and turned her upside down but the only thing to come out was water and a bit of saliva looking stuff, nothing gross. I'm afraid she's hurt her actual neck and any massaging is just going to make it worse - we do have a dog, he has never bothered her before but he's been more unsupervised lately. There's been no blood, feathers, etc to suggest an injury though. Any ideas?

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

I'm not quite sure, is it possible she has an abscess? These can make animals have less energy and they definitely hurt! The only reason I think this is because our one goat had an abscess recently and he definitely had less energy. Hopefully someone else is able to help more than I have! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by