Hard to ask question

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
I have never had to do anything like this before but as time goes by I am beginning to realize someone in my flock needs to be culled. How do I do this properly with no stress to my chicken or myself. There is no other option here and I cant rehome the chicken

I know an old farmer who just, when he wants chicken for dinner, goes outside and pops the first one that walks by with a 22. That sounds very low stress to me provided your aim is good. My dad uses a hatchet. I have yet to do the deed myself, but I'm thinking the 22 method sounds like one that I'd be more comfortable with personally as it's much less up close and personal. However, I've heard that it's harder to get the blood drained from the bird properly if you shoot it, so that may be something to take into account as well.

Last edited:
I recently ran across this while sitting for hours in a vet's office with only my phone and youtube to keep me company as that cat was getting attention. Look up "respectful chicken harvest part 1 and part 2" It is very nice and I think very helpful to me as I look at tackling some extra roos.

Our date is set for October 18th, I am having a local lady teach me while she butchers our 8 cockerals (I of course am paying her, probably extra for teaching me).

If you are not going to eat it, you could offer a whole bird to the local food bank. Might even call them and if they have someone interested in butchering, you could take the bird to them and let them dispatch of it. (All things I have thought about if I couldn't stomach it).

Back
Top Bottom