Hardware cloth 1/2" 19 gauge Or Chicken wire?

I'm not a fan of chicken wire because after a year or so it starts to rust. I actually use neither chicken wire or hardware cloth. I use the 2" by 3" green coated garden fencing for my run. My chicken area is out behind our fenced backyard with 5 acres of woods around it. We have foxes, raccoon's, possum's, hawks, weasels etc and I have never had an issue with anything coming and grabbing any chickens during the day. At night mine get locked up in the coop. So i wouldn't see you having an issue using chicken wire for your run if you lock them up at night. Most predators are nocturnal.

Hardware cloth and a peak roof on the run. Harder for predators to use their weight to get in. I try to build my pens in panels that can be dismantled and reused, also makes it easy to store if a pen isn't in use.. Lol.
My suggestion is build the run predator proof, then you don't have to panic about getting home to put them in, or have to get someone in if you go away for the weekend...

I think that chicken wire is good for a day time
Run as long as they will he locked up in hardware cloth at night. There are 2 big dogs in the area that try to get my chickens, and it would keep them out. It would also keep the hawks and great horned owl out that hang out in my yard. For day time, that's all im looking for.

I'm with OEG Lifer, if the run is predator proof you can allow the hens 24/7 access so you don't always have to be there at dusk to lock them up or you can go away for the weekend. Also, you don't have to get up to let them out, I like sleeping in. Also, no one mentioned rodents, 1/2" hardware cloth keeps them out when chicken wire doesn't. We have 3 hens, we hang the food and water under the hen house in the run. We only closed the pop door to the hen house a few nights last year when it was below freezing. Might not even do that this year once the girls are done molting.

Back
Top Bottom