Hardware cloth and peaked roof frame

Travilah

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Myersville, Maryland
I purchased a premade shade roof for my 10 x 10 dog kennel at TSC. Was already to go, and I am such a poor carpenter
smile.png

The frame consists of each side divided into 5 ft open panels - two per side - with angled peak in the center. The shade canvas is designed to bungee cord attach to sides. I want to cover this frame with wire prior to placing shade cover on. Does hardward cloth come at least 5 ft wide and 12 feet long? I do not want to have to seam the HW cloth in between panel sides, and would ideally like to attach to one side and wrap over to opposited side. Then I would simply need two strips to cover the whole thing with seaming aling the center side poles. And do I really need something as tough as HW cloth on the roof - would a couple layers of chicken wire, which is easier to handle, provide adequate protection?

Chris

You can purchase 60" (5 foot) hardware cloth online but it's expensive and shipping makes it even more expensive.

Local big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) tend to carry these in rolls that are 24" and 36" wide, although you can sometimes find them at 48" wide. It would be unusual to find a 60" wide roll at these places.

You may find you need to purchase 36" wide rolls and run two on each side, overlapping them. If you choose to do this, it's a easy process to attach them together with zip ties.

We did this with our last run in which we used a five foot wide dog run. Electrical pipe was attached to the top of the rails using brace rail clamps to add some stability to the hardware cloth.

84140_img_0917.jpg

Whether chicken wire (which is a royal pain in a low spot to work with) would be a good substitute depends on what type of critters are around.

Gail

Quote:
I too have a 10x10 dog kennel and the exact same pitched roof w/ tarp from TSC.
smile.png
I honestly don't see a point in covering the frame w/ hardware cloth--then you ALSO have to fill in the peaks, which would be really complicated IMO. You don't mention that above--had you thought about that? It's much easier to just cover the top of the pen with a flat woven wire roof.

I already had a wire "roof" on my pen but I recently replaced it (when I installed my fancy new cover) b/c it had ripped. I used woven (not welded) wire I got from Home Depot--it is not hardware cloth but has 1" squares (instead of the 1/2" ones hardware cloth has). That's fine for the top b/c nothing can reach in and get them that high up. Woven wire is stronger than welded. I think I paid $50 for enough to do the top. It was 4' x 50'-- I doubt it comes in 5'. You could get 5' horse fence (again, woven wire, 2"x4" holes, SUPER heavy gauge), but you'll not find it in less than 100 foot rolls and often it's hard to find it below 300 foot.

Anyway, what I did was cut three 4x11 foot pieces. I laid them out on the ground, overlapping by 6" or so (resulting in an 11x11 foot piece of fabric). Using hog rings or cage clips you could seam them together in no time, but I just used wire so it took a little longer. But not bad. Then I hoisted it up on top of my pen. I intentionally made it larger so it could bend the edges and overlap down the sides for support and additional predator protectin. It is attached with stainless steel cable ties every 4-5 inches.

Note: I have a central support pole, which is necessary for this (b/c otherwise the top will sag). I used a 4x4 with two 2x4s going from the post (attached w/ angle irons) to the side of the pen (attached w/ the u-shaped flanges used to attach gate to chainlink run--can get at Home Depot). I.e., the 2x4s only go from center to 2 sides -- there are not 4 2x4s going to all 4 sides. I thought 2 was enough and it has worked well over the years.

This is the only pic I have showing this and it's not great. Hopefully you can see.

19926_tarp.jpg

And here's my pen w/ cover. You can see the wire top overlapping.

19926_pentop4.jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The 2x4 welded wire would work, and is quite a bit cheaper than the HW cloth. If your pen is 6ft. tall, then I agree with paws - easier to cover flat across. Of course it's doable to peak it, but you will have to "sew" things together for the end peak pieces. They do sell 2x4 and HW cloth in 5 ft. wide rolls, generally in 25, 50, and 100 ft. rolls.

Great responses - and the pics are exactly what I am trying to do. I currently have a flat roof of birdnetting, which is simply a little fly by deterent, but wouldn't keep anyone out which was determined to get it. So it sounds like it might be easier to flat roof with wire, then place peaked cover on top of that. Will check HD and see what goddies they have.

And I had considered taht I would have to cover the front and back openings made by the roof peak.

Okay, I am a bit of a newbie (make that a really new newbie), but never considered putting top netting on under the kennel cover. Guess I never considered that some critter would actually work that hard to get to my girls. My cover is a bit different than the TSC style in that it the sides come down below the top of the chainlink fence, but now you all have me paranoid so will probably go out and buy some netting to make sure everyone stays safe.
hmm.png

74612_img_0556.jpg

Back
Top Bottom