Hardware cloth. Attached Inside or Outside??

Jonidoodle

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
Southern VA
Just finished building our chicken coop and run and my husband and I have decided to put the wire on the outside so that it will cover the 2x4s. Don’t want anything chewing on the wood.

U_Stormcrow

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Outside. For reasons listed above. Granted, I used livestock fencing (to keep the goats that I don't yet have out, as well as larger predators - cayote, feral pigs, FL bear), then attached chicken wire to the inside to deter smaller critters (possum, weasel, etc). And an electric fence around their pasture, charged at 7", 24", and 48" to deter the same large predators before they get anywhere close to my hen house or (empty) goat pens.

Big Doggie

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
Would love to hear your comments:

Where did you put yours and why?

I have pros and cons to both installing on the outside of the run frame and the inside of the run. Is there a good way? A Better way?

Just curious as to how you did it!

Lisa
Outside. I used lathe screws 3/4” long to attach to the 2x4s.
D4F0F7F6-68CC-4386-9220-B7E9975AAA55.jpeg

CoopDeVille1973

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2019
NE Iowa USA
if you use lathe screws, anticipate which direction the wire will pull/push (direction of force) so you know which corner of the 1/2" hardware cloth square the head will hold. Wrong corner and it is pushed on, the hardware cloth with simply pop over the lathe screw head. Correct corner and it will be shoved into the shank of the screw, resisting more force. if 1/4" hardware cloth is used, this isn't as big a deal.

Top Bottom