hardware cloth question

taratrip

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
camden county south jersey
Hey all!
I am still designing my run and was thinking?
Could I just bury the hardware cloth down a foot and not bend it out? would that still be effective? or could I not dig it out and bend it out and put big landscaping rocks and dirt over the apron? I'm pretty much in this alone (i think DH will eventually come around but he wants me to sweat it out) and I know I will have problems digging due to my own helath issues and lots of tree roots.

It is done both ways, Digging down would be the Most effective in my opinion.
But that is not always possible.
Maybe try a compromise and dig down 6 inches or so and then make the skirting. The further out the skirting is the more protection you will have. Most diggers dig close to the fence, but not all.

Good luck tara.

I couldnt dig down due to the rocks encountered here on a mountain! Mine is out about 8 - 10 inches or so and has done fine. I dont know if its because of the wire or rocks though!

We used an 8'x14 'dog kennel for our run and the wire ends at the bottom rail of the kennel. We used 24x24" concrete patio stones laid right against the rail the whole way around. No room to dig between concrete and bottom rail of kennel.
It might be expensive if you had to buy the patio stones but since we own the concrete plant it seemed like a good solution. lol

Jackie

I am running mine on top of the ground and out about 3 feet, covering with gravel and top soil, then planting the area.

We live in such a rocky area, it is nearly impossible to dig into the ground. So, I am doing the above ground method to stop diggers.

I buried plywood down 12 inches and cut it to fit around the roots and rocks, some pieces looked like a landsape of the New York skyline, the chickens are digging on one side and that dogs on the other, The chickens like to scratch close to the wire so some should be buried to they do not let in mice.

Back
Top Bottom