Hardware Cloth Vs. Chicken Wire

Thank you to everyone who commented. I decided to return the chicken wire and go with hardware cloth after weighing the options.

I also learned we have rattle snakes in this new area….. so yeah I’m going to have to say no to snakes in my coop. 🤢
Can you post a pic of your final result?
I just noticed this is from March…

Happy New Year, BTW… Ha! 🎉
♥️🐓~ Johnna 🐓♥️

Chicken wire is called chicken wire because it keeps chickens in, but it doesn't keep anything out. Snakes, little raccoon paws and faces can fit through, weasels, mice, dog's noses, etc. I have used chicken wire in a coop once, and that worked because of the 3x1.5 foot wood garden planters around the side, blocking most shorter predators. It was also in an open space where coyotes had controlled the raccoon population. The issue with it was that mice could infiltrate the run, and a hawk attack bent part of the top. Hardware cloth would have at the very least made it sturdier and more pest proof. (Edit: Oops, little late! Didn't see the more recent posts.)

Chicken wire is called chicken wire because it keeps chickens in, but it doesn't keep anything out. Snakes, little raccoon paws and faces can fit through, weasels, mice, dog's noses, etc. I have used chicken wire in a coop once, and that worked because of the 3x1.5 foot wood garden planters around the side, blocking most shorter predators. It was also in an open space where coyotes had controlled the raccoon population. The issue with it was that mice could infiltrate the run, and a hawk attack bent part of the top. Hardware cloth would have at the very least made it sturdier and more pest proof. (Edit: Oops, little late! Didn't see the more recent posts.)
Chicken Wire absolutely has its places; this is very true.. I do use it often:

I’ve needed CW to shore up the bottom of my plastic fencing that sections off a portion of my backyard away from the Porch/BBQ/Entertaining areas. This fencing would stretch out easily over time and get loose and wiggly, but running a 2’foot strip around the bottom of it along with some Guy Lines placed at the corners sure did help to strengthen this plastic fencing. — I emphasize: This is where I like to “keep my Chickens in. It’s where they get to free-range/roam around “during our supervision”.

I’ve also used CW to fence-in a section inside their run, like when integrating a new chicken, or a new Mama with newly hatched babies. Ya know, anyone who needs some personal space, but not confinement.

Can you show us a pic of the tractor frame?
I haven't got to building it yet, a little too much snow at the minute! lol I am just in my planning phase! But I think I have decided on just a plain salatin style tractor from pvc pipe just to keep the weight down. standard size 10x5x2 for about 25 birds. I did want to be sure it was top opening fully with 2 panels so I can easily catch/sort the critters on camp day. using a temporary divider, chicken wranging skills and perhaps in a pinch a pig board.

don't get me wrong I have hated the stuff for years, just was trying to bring the budget and weight of this tractor down. At this rate its going to be a $2000 contraption! Going to have to raise a heck of a lot of birds to break even! Interesting that mice were a problem though. I have seen my chickens running like the wind after them, get them and swallow them whole like a snake!

don't get me wrong I have hated the stuff for years, just was trying to bring the budget and weight of this tractor down. At this rate its going to be a $2000 contraption! Going to have to raise a heck of a lot of birds to break even! Interesting that mice were a problem though. I have seen my chickens running like the wind after them, get them and swallow them whole like a snake!
I only ever saw one mouse, not entirely sure how it got in, being that my coop was like Fort Knox, but my chickens were so disturbed by it, they wouldn't go to that section of the coop. I thought it was odd they didn't try to get it. Maybe they decided to go vegetarian.:idunno

Back
Top Bottom