Hardware cloth vs expanded metal?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BYC60586, Mar 15, 2017.

1. BYC60586

BYC60586 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Plainfield, Illiinois
    Hello all,

We are in the planning process for our coop. Research has shown that 1/2" hardware cloth is the preferred product for openings on the coop and run. What are your thoughts on using 1/2" expanded metal as an alternative? I know cost wise expanded metal is more expensive than hardware cloth but I already have the expanded metal on hand. Also the material I have is 18ga 1/2" flattened material. Here is a link to a pic http://www.zx-expandedmetal.com/ut/product/201433110122714.jpg

TIA for any feedback.

2. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    We will see if anyone else chimes in but I personally would use it granted there are no sharp edges.

Scott

3. seanengler

seanengler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    I used expanded steel as the floor to my egg mobile and I ended up having to coat it with a rubberized spray. The metal edges were cutting the heck out of my hens' feet. I do like it better than hardware cloth because it is thicker gauge and can take more of a beating when it comes to scraping it clean and hosing out etc. Not to mention the birds' weight. Lowes and Home Depot sell some good easy to apply products.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by