Hardware cloth vs. Harware Cloth + Welded Wire

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shopchicks, May 29, 2010.

1. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I am working on my run, and the main part of the run is 2"x4" welded wire, with 1/2" hardware cloth on the bottom 2'. However, I have just hardware cloth, without the welded wire enclosing the area underneath the coop. Is there any danger in this, or is it really strong enough on its own? I suspect our main predators here would be raccoons and skunks. It would be a pain to reinforce the area with welded wire, but it could be done if needed.

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I have seen domestic dogs paw through 1/2" hardware cloth on rabbit cages.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Is the hardware cloth underground or sitting up so that something could try to get thru. I have 2 x 4 welded wire on my run It is buried 2 feet in the ground. I use chickenwire on the inside of the run about 2 foot around the bottom. I live adjacent to a wildlife management area and have all kinds of predators including bobcats. So far (3 years) this has worked without mishap. My coop attached to these runs is also built down into the ground 2 feet It has metal sides so nothing can get in. I dont think raccoons and skunks can into the hardware cloth but I could be wrong. My rabbit hutches have hardware cloth bottoms and sit 4 feet off the ground without any problems.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    What gauge is the hardware cloth, and what's the wire spacing?

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Use both.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  6. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    All hardware cloth is welded wire, but not all welded wire is hardware cloth. Welded wire comes in many configurations and gauges. Hardware cloth is generally understood to mean 1/2 x 1/2 inch welded wire.

UGCM

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    if you want something that nearly nothing but a ticked off bear would get threw I would use chain link dog fencing with hardware cloth layered over.

8. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I don't know specifically what gauge the wire is. The 2x4" welded wire is pretty hefty. The hardware cloth is 1/2" and of course thinner wires. Just the basic types that are sold at Lowe's/Home Depot.

I did not sink the wire into the ground, but I am planning on putting down a 2' wide apron with the welded wire all the way around, and holding it down with landscaping staples. The run wire is attached to treated 2x4 frame that is sitting right on the soil surface.

Chain link is not an option as the run is already built, and the wire already purchased.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I guess the big question is, if a predator DID get under the coop, what could it do from there? If the under-the-coop area is part of the run, and a predator getting under there would then have free unimpeded access to a lot of chicken dinner, I'd either add 2x4 wire or just make sure the hardware cloth is really well attached (lots of wood backing it up, etc). But if the only reason to fence off the underneath area is to prevent critters from taking up residence there, or using it as a base camp to try to pry or gnaw their way in from below, I dont see it as being such a big deal, assuming you will keep a general eye out for any signs of enemy activity, so to speak.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by