Hardware cloth

Dipsey

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2015
The new chicken tractor location is going to be at my bro's. He lives in a semi country setting between a river and a creek. Mink, fox, coon, snakes, stray cats and dogs would be the predators. The tractor is going to be a 6x3 and right now we have a hen broody on 5 eggs (she was broody sitting on nothing since the end of Fed. we finally gave her some fertile eggs since she wants to be mother so bad) we plan on transferring her over with her babies when the new coop is complete. Of course after the little ones are raised at about 6-8 weeks only 3 will be staying in the new coop. Now for the problem! We didn't want the babies and eventually adult chickens to become a meal for any of the predators listed above so we thought about using 1/2 hardware cloth all around the coop including the bottom of the run. But now after buying the hardware cloth and already putting it on I found out it was a bad idea due to it hurting the adults feet. Is there any other options to do in this kind of situation?? I do know the mink, fox, coons and snakes are terrible over at his place. The coons wouldn't have been so bad if the neighbor wouldn't have been feeding them years prior. Finally one of the "pet" wild coons came on the porch and almost killed their chihuahua in front of them after that they stopped feeding but the coons still hang around.

Last edited:
If its on the bottom of the run and flush with the ground it shouldn't be hurting their feet. Are you finding sores on their feet from it?

No we have not finished it yet. The tractor is still in construction. Should be done by tomorrow. I was posting and basically asking for direction on what to do. If it would be alright?? if not other options etc.

I've had it on bottoms of tractors I've made with no issue. It doesn't hurt their feet, especially if its sitting on grass. They just can't dustbathe with it, so you have to provide a pan of dirt. A skirt would solve that issue but it would be hard to move the tractor

I can vouch that it won't hurt their feet, especially when on the ground. And I would be very wary of using it as a skirt, as several of those predators you mention are fully capable of heroic acts of digging and lifting. The only certain way to keep out racoons and weasel species is to use impervious materials, unyielding, with no gaps. Ask me how I know...

I'm amazed that people still use chicken wire on coops around where I live. only to be heartbroken soon enough. I've used only hardware cloth since building my first coop some 15 years ago, as some research online even back then made it clear it was the only choice.

Good luck with your run!

I can vouch that it won't hurt their feet, especially when on the ground. And I would be very wary of using it as a skirt, as several of those predators you mention are fully capable of heroic acts of digging and lifting. The only certain way to keep out racoons and weasel species is to use impervious materials, unyielding, with no gaps. Ask me how I know...

I'm amazed that people still use chicken wire on coops around where I live. only to be heartbroken soon enough. I've used only hardware cloth since building my first coop some 15 years ago, as some research online even back then made it clear it was the only choice.

Good luck with your run!
Awesome! Thank you for the reply. That takes alot of worry off my mind.

Put on the bottom is necessary.If there is rodents around house ,another way you can put the hardware cloth underground a bit.then it wont hurt their feet and also protect from the predator.

Back
Top Bottom