hardware cloth

FeelingDucky

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2017
Would you recommend half inch or quarter inch hardware cloth for my ducks run? And what looks the better, the regular or the black? Thanks!

@PD-Riverman It would be for the sides and top of the run, for predator protection.
263a.png

@PD-Riverman It would be for the sides and top of the run, for predator protection.
263a.png

I would want to use chain linked sides Like a used 10x10x6ft tall dog kennel, etc and according to what type of predators you got. 1"chicken wire works good here for the top. A big dog can tear up 1/2" hardware cloth if he tries hard. Can you find a used chain-link dog kennel? Thing about used dog kennels is you can use them for years and years and if you decide to sell out---you can sell the used kennels for what you payed for them! A pic of some of my pens.

Last edited:
We don't need to worry about dogs thankfully! Our farm is fully fenced. We're more worried about minks, racoons, and foxes. Maybe the occasional bobcat....it seems like we have all the top predators here, lol!

I used galvanized half-inch hardware cloth over the top, down the sides, and buried underground to stop digging predators. Thankfully, in over 4 years I've not had any trouble. My ducks are never locked in a coop - they have free reign of the fully enclosed pen 24/7 (with shelter if they want it, of course, and supervised free-ranging in the yard).

We don't need to worry about dogs thankfully! Our farm is fully fenced. We're more worried about minks, racoons, and foxes. Maybe the occasional bobcat....it seems like we have all the top predators here, lol!

Good, But let me tell you how I think----I can find used 10x10x6ft tall dog kennels for $100 in my area-----I can put up that 10x10 in 10 minutes a 10x20 in 15. If I used any kind of wire. I got to bury post, got to add top and bottom rails, attach the wire to the post---even double if I want it 6ft tall--- then it is still not as strong as a dog kennel even though it had taken me HOURS to get it up. Now in 20 years I could not even give the "other" wire fence away to get rid of it, but I can sell the 10x10x6ft kennel for $100. So as you seen in my Pic----I use dog kennels. That's My thinking---LOL

In the pic the line on the left---its 10ft x 150ft long took me 3 hours by myself dividing it into 12 pens to instal.

Last edited:
I totally get you about the dog kennel, I would love to be able to do that! But with the racoons and the minks I would have to add wire anyway, which would substantially add to the cost.
1f61e.png

I totally get you about the dog kennel, I would love to be able to do that! But with the racoons and the minks I would have to add wire anyway, which would substantially add to the cost.
1f61e.png

Yea, you are right----with some of these newer ones some of the smaller chickens can walk through the wide slot by the doors as well as a coon walking in. The few I got like that I modified them with pipe instead of wire.

Back
Top Bottom