Hardware cloth

easterlyfarms

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Can predators get through hardware cloth. I am using it behind my plex glass windows in the coop. I know i sound a little paranoid but can they ripe the hardware cloth.thank you:D

This is my favorite answer! Go and get an electric fence. They are easy to set up and cheap !!! $100.

Most preaditors cant get thru hardware cloth. Good luck
fl.gif

I've never seen nor heard of any predator able to tear hardware cloth.

That said, be sure you secure the cloth to the frame adequately. Coons will pull staples or small nails out of the wood if they can get a grip on something.

When I covered my windows I used poultry staples on the hardware cloth but them covered all the staples with window moulding and 10p nails.

Hope this helps.

We used fencing staples and covered the seams with batten strips as shown on this page-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-LynnePs_Run

I think it's fair to say that a bear could break through almost anything, but that hardware cloth will protect your birds from most predators provided your run is roofed and you bring your birds to a safe place at night. We used 1/2" guage and buried some on the perimeter of the run. You also have to vigilatn about structural holes and even places where a squirrel could chew through, and especially vigilant about rat tunnels.

Back
Top Bottom