Hardware cloth

hardware cloth is just a metal mesh, like chicken wire, only the holes are very small. I don't know the exact size, but my guess is something like 1/2" x 1/2", or possibly a bit smaller. It comes in rolls of 4'T x 50'long at most home depot's or lowes. Tractor Supply also sells it by the foot, I haven't priced it there, but Home Depot's 50' roll was roughly $27. I believe it can be bought for much cheaper than that.

its usually fairly expensive compaired to what you normally think of as "chicken wire"

hardware cloth comes in a BUNCH of diffrnet sizes, from large screen (.125x.125) up to the .5x.5 already mentioned.

rolls varry in lenght from 10-20' up to 50 or 100'....

old school hardware stores might sell it by the foot if you just wanted a patch for a "screen door" on the coop

Sure, under the run, over the run, around the run...lol. It'll work to keep things like 'coons from reaching through and grabbing chicken necks.

Lunachick, Hardware cloth can be purchased in different size square mesh and also in different heights. It is very strong and works really well to keep out predators.

bigzio

I'm going shopping at Loews! Hardware cloth, locks, extra hinges, tarp for hot sunny days, pistol, just kidding, thanks all.

I've been priciing the hardware cloth and it's pretty expensive considering the amount to purchase for a decent run.
Whats wrong with using the wire used for concrete? (Forget what it's called)
It can come in small widths of about 1", not as stiff as the wire cloth, but much less expense, and comes in 3x 150' for 36.00 bucks here at Home Depot.

If you feel comfortable that the concrete wire will keep your coop secure, I don't see any reason not to use it. I've seen and read about coops made from all sorts of stuff. Protecting the flock is the main goal- so whatever you can beg, borrow, steal, or even buy if you have to, is fine as long as it does the job.

The only drawback to hardware cloth that I have found is if you have chickens that like to "run the wire", the hardware cloth I have, (1/2 x 1/2") can wear down their beaks, almost as if you had filed them. Doesn't hurt em, just makes em look as if they have been de-beaked. But, even with the price, it is excellent at protecting fowl from preds.

Back
Top Bottom