Hardware Cloth

I put a hardware cloth apron around my coop and run, about 18 inches wide and buried about 3-4 inches. I affixed the hardware cloth with screws and washers to the wood of the run. Nothing has even tried to get in there and I live in the woods.

Quote:
Laying it flat on the ground serves the same purpose and YOU don't have to dig either

That is what I was going to say. Lay flat on ground, preferably going out on all sides by at least a foot or two (so may need to overlap several layers of wire cloth). Then place the coop atop the wire. Cover with shavings or other bedding. The weight of the coop will prevent it from being pulled out. And grass will grow through the apron on the outside of the coop (assuming that the chickens cannot get to it to eat it all).

All wire comes in various gauges, and often, but not always, the hardware cloth is a finer gauge than cage wire. The heavier the gauge, the better. Also, the smaller the openings, the better for predator protection. If the wire is being used to allow droppings to fall through, 1/2 x 1 is okay, but 1x1 is better.

Back
Top Bottom