Hardware Cloth

navyvet

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
Wintersville
I am getting a pre-fab coop for my chickens. (Not good with carpentry tools) It is approx 63" wide X 26"deep with run. I would like to put 1/2x1/2 hardware cloth down to keep the predators from digging under. Not sure how to attach cloth to coop and run frame. Should I bury it around coop and run and if so how deep should it be. Any hepl would be greaty apperciated.

welcome-byc.gif

You could attach it with heavy duty staples. Easy to find them and the staple gun at your nearest hardware store. Have to wait for someone else to post on how deep to bury the cloth. I wouldn't want to tell you wrong.
smile.png

You might want to look for 1/2"x1" rabbit cage wire instead. It has rounded edges, is made primarily to be the bottom of rabbit cages so that it doesn't cut their feet and still allows fairly sizeable globs of poop to pass through. Personally I would never want an animal walking on hardware cloth because it is sharp-edged. IThe rabbit wire is also a little stronger than the hardware cloth.

There's a right side and a wrong side to go up under the chickens' feet. Hopefully your feed store person can tell you.

You would most easily find the rabbit cage wire at a feed store or they can probably order some for you.

Just food for thought.

Long staples would work, or screws w/largish washers. Some have even your pop (or beer) bottle lids as washers.

I'd say bury at least a foot deep - up to 18". You can also do a skirt, which would most likely be easier...

Do an apron. It's easier than burying it and just as effective. Make the apron 24" wide of 1/4-1/2" hardware cloth. And don't use staples. Use washers and screw it to the frame. Staples are a serious weak point. I used them on my first coop and something just ripped them out like they weren't even there.

Good luck.

Never use the wimpy staple gun staples. Those things are for hanging construction paper on a corkboard. Also, do not use the heavy duty fence staples. Those things are for hanging farm fence from 4x4 posts.

You really need to use screws and washers to secure hardware cloth.

You should actually encase the hardware cloth between two wood pieces using screws or ridged nails driven at multiple angles. This prevents a critter like a raccoon from peeling apart where it meets up with the framing. The multiple angled fastening can also be used with trim boards to prevent peeling back joints in a coop's wall.

Do not use staples of any sort unless they are covered.

Last edited:
I've buried hardware cloth 1-2 ft in the ground and nothing has dug under it. A gopher tortoise tried and was unsuccessful.

I've buried hardware cloth 1-2 ft in the ground and nothing has dug under it.

Laying it flat on the ground serves the same purpose and YOU don't have to dig either​

Back
Top Bottom