hardware cloth

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I started installing the hardware cloth around the bottom of the coop yesterday. My question is does the manufacturer of the hardware cloth provide this stuff is different gauges? After reading about animals tearing through chain link fence, I just don't see how this wire can stop anything that can do that. To me it just doesn't seem that heavy.
hmm.png
I hope I haven't gone and bought something that won't work. I got it at HD.

Thoughts?

pt

Last edited:
Hardware cloth does come in different gauges. I used 19 gauge with 1/2x1/2 inch openings. I don't know how flimsy or sturdy yours is, but you can probably tell if it's too weak (say, for a raccoon to be thwarted).

It does come in different gauges but it is hard to find much variety. I don't know what your Home Depot stocks. I saw 12, 19, and 23 gauge on their website. What you want is the welded wire, not the woven or twisted. A big raccoon or some other animals can pull holes in the woven or twisted where they at least have to break the welds to get through on the welded wire. That is why you really don't want chicken wire. It is twisted, not welded. It is also usually pretty fine gauge so some animals can break it as well as untwist it. I think it was Tala that had some good pictures of both failure modes with chicken wire, from dogs.

You can build something that nothing can get through, but that can cost you a fortune. You can build something that will keep most things out at a more reasonable price. From what I saw at the HD website, I'd personally go with the 19 gauge, but it is your choice.

I used 1/2" or 1" hardware cloth to cover my window and the vents, probably in the range of 19 gauge. I really don't remember exactly what I used. I used 2"x4" welded wire for my run and put chicken wire on the bottom 18" or so of the run. That was more to keep baby chicks from going through the 2x4 wire, but also to keep the chickens from sticking their heads out where they could get taken off and to make it harder for something to reach in. Mine sleep in a closed coop, not in the run, so I am not worried about reach-through higher up.

Thanks everybody. I did use the 1/2 X 1/2 welded wire, just don't know the gauge. Anyway, it's up and what a pain. Better than dead hens though. Now the dogs upset cause he blocked out for staying under the coop where it's so cool.

Hardware cloth is your best option but you can do a layering option, install the hardware cloth then add a layer of chicken wire to the outside. Hope this helped.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom