1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardware cloth!?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jun 5, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, so this is more of a rant and I may be placing this in the wrong section but since it has to do with my bator here goes. I went to Walmart and decided to look in hardware for some hardware cloth, I needed to modify my homemade bator. I asked the guy and he looked confused, so he went to the next aisle and grabbed an asst manager, who sends us to the paint aisle, so now I look confused. The first guy goes back and gets the asst man. since I told him there was none there. He comes back and tries to give me drop cloths, he says it's the same thing. Now if I asked my husband what hardware cloth is he would have got it! So I go to the big hardware store and get the same look when I asked a guy there, he tries to send me to hardware, I told him, no, probably in outside building materials and found it myself. Don't guys usually know this stuff?!?! I am new to chickens but I knew what hardware cloth was, am I abnormal?[​IMG] All I think about is is DH sent me to the store for this and I came back with drop cloths, I could imagine the look on his face [​IMG]
    Krista

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

since a lot of people don't know "hardware cloth" is neither hardware nor cloth, they don't know where to find it or what it actually is. I've heard of people going into a hardware store and asking where they could find that "elbow grease" they'd heard people talk about when they were getting ready to tackle a tough job... [​IMG]

The days of efficient knowledgeable store employees are pretty much gone, sad to say. With a few notable exceptions, most stores are staffed by folks who are just there to make their wage and go home. They don't have the energy, the time, or the inclination to really LEARN while they're there...

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I feel so old now, my employers when I was a kid drilled customer service into my head, I went to one of the big hardware stores to buy some moulding 7 months pregnant with an 18 month old and asked one of the guys to cut it for me to length, he told me the hand saw was around the corner. I just stood there and looked at him, he finally realized I didnt' think that was acceptable and cut it for me. So disappointing.......guess it's gone the way of a deal made with a handshake, unless you get it notarized now.......
    Krista

4. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I go to a local hardware or feed store for hardware cloth, some call it "rabbit wire" too it comes in 1/4 and 1/2 inch sizes. walmart is the reason little hardware stores have to close. Geez we have a lowes going up in our town it will close our only hardware store left I guess. [​IMG] Notice I didnt use caps on the names. [​IMG]

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

You went to wrong stores. TSC if it's in your part of the country.

I have found that common names don't always work. Sometimes you have to describe it. You know the metal mesh stuff with wire about 1/2 inch squares that they use for rabbit cage floors?

When I go to Lowes of Home Depot for repair or replacement parts I take what is broken. Plumbing is the worst. No simple fixes despite the amount of stuff they have.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    i know you are talking incubators... but as an aside... never use the 1/4" stuff in a coop for a droppings pit. It clogs brutally. 1/2" even if the 1/4" is being given away free it's not worth the extra work you're causing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by