Hardware question

Could a delivery person, meter reader, visitor or child accidentally leave a gate open? What can jump your fence, or dig under? Dogs? Coyote or fox? All will hunt in the day. A dog can definitely rip apart chicken wire. We have several dogs and it hasn't kept raccoons our of our yards. Well, it does if they see the dogs are out in the yard at the time.
big_smile.png
Raccoons have been known to occasionally hunt in the daytime, even though they usually prefer to hunt at night.

Besides safety issues, hardware cloth gives additional stability and strength to the tractor, when using lighter wood. I've made cages out of it, without using any framing material, as long as they aren't so large that the top starts to sag. Tractors get moved a lot, so they take more strain than a permanent structure.

If you can afford the hardware cloth, I'd use that.

From reading other threads on this forum, I have learned that chicken wire in some parts of the country, is not the same as in other parts.
Depending on where you live and how strong it is there, you can use it, if its the strong stuff.
Around here, and I think in the majority of places, its flimsy bendable crap.
Looks the same, isn't the same.

Last edited:
I used chicken wire.... with 2 inch holes... didn't have a problem until the wire rusted and fell apart....

I would go with making the frame out of a heavier material, and the 1x2's for everything else. Personally I use 1x4's and 2x3's to keep things light.

Yea don't do what I did, make a beautiful Portable (my a$$) coup with sheets of 1/4 inch plywood and 2x4s. I tend to over build everything. So it weighs at least 100lbs if not 200lbs. Dont have a scale that fits it. It stands 6ft tall 6ft long and 3ft wide.

Bubba

Build light. There's no reason to make the unit heavy without a point to having the weight and strength.

Predrill your screw holes to keep the wood from splitting.

2x2's are wonderfull building pieces for mobil coops. Strong enough to do the job with minimal weight.

Back
Top Bottom