Hardware store Horror stories....Where not to shop.

One time I was buying bags of concrete mix, and asked for someone to help load it when I checked out. Of course I was informed that someone would be right out. Well, after 15 min and several requests later, I ended up having to wrestle them from the stack outside into my truck myself.

That would NEVER happen at the local Tru-Value.

I hope that I don't sound like I am bragging but.. I have worked in Hardware stores for 25 years. The first was a family owned store. Was taught what customer service was back then. They where greeted at the door. Phone did not ring more than three times before someone had answered it. Always be polite even if they where not. Know your product and how to use it correctly. Know local and state building codes. So I went to work at Lowes in 2006 I brought my small town mom and pop store values with me. I greeted my customers in my department and asked if they need help if they did I made sure that they got the right product that they need for the job. If they needed help in a different dept. then I would go with them and help them get what they needed for the job. I knew where to find whatever the customer asked for. Most of the time if the other sale person did not know they would ask me because they where to lazy to take the time to see where things where at in the store. I finally quit because the new manger did not even know anything about building materials. He had managed a grocery store. He would ride us if we spent time helping customers get what they needed. He did not understand that it was harder to find the right saw for the job that would fit the customer. Then the fact that it is easier to pick out groceries for the week. When I finish my house I think I will go to work for a grocery store
wink.png

HD strikes again!

We had just inherited our house and were preparing to move into it on Feb. 15th. This is an old house built in the 40's, heated by propane heater units in several rooms. We had the gas company come out to fill the tank and do a quick inspection on the heaters and they found that the heaters were not up to code and would have to be replaced. We could not afford to have a contractor come in and replace them, and I'm the handy type so I planned on buying heaters from HD which I had noticed while shopping there only 2 weeks prior.

I take a day off from work, head out to HD to buy the heaters.

I walk into the area where I had seen said heaters 2 weeks before and... no heaters.
I think to myself they must of moved them, so I grab a salesperson and ask about them. He gives me directions to the area I just came from.
I ask him to show me and he acts kind of put out but he heads in that direction.

When we get to that area he is as suprised as I was that they weren't there.
He calls his supervisor over to ask about the heaters and the supervisor explains to me how the heaters have all been shipped back to the main warehouse because they are now "out of season"

I say Um... Its the middle of Feb., its 10:45 a.m, and the temp has made it up to 28 degrees... and heaters are out of season?

He looks at me with this blank look and says "yes"

So I ask if he can order me 3 of these $400 units from the warehouse and he tells me no, they're put away until next season!

That was the last time I've been in a HD, Feb. 15th, 2004

Lowes was out of stock on them but could get them for me...in 2 weeks! (I needed to move into the house in 3 days)

I called the gas co. and priced the heaters I needed, they were $600 each and yes they had them instock. I told them about my situation and that I hadn't expected to pay that much, so I wouldn't have that amount of money for another 2 weeks. The lady asked for my phone # and said give her 15 min. and she would call me back after she checked into the possibility of billing me the difference for the heaters in 2 weeks.

She called back in 10 min. and said the heaters were being loaded on the truck now and they would be here within an hour.

45 min. later there was a delivery truck at my door with the heaters, they brought them inside and began taking them out of there boxes and asked where I wanted them installed.

I told the guy I would have to install them becuse I didn't have money to pay for installation, especially since I didn't plan on paying that much for them in the first place.

He tells me that his co. was only charging me $400 per heater and they were installing them for free!
1 hour later we had heat!

Great to hear that one Rooster, shame what the world has come to. I myself am a huge Tony Stewart fan, so I have alot of HD racing apparel, I have had people come up to me in the stores and ask where something is located, and I guarantee I am more helpful than their employees.

NJ.....I believe da-cajun was talking about the majority....sadly, I believe you are in the minority of the teen population, but that is something to be proud of though

Quote:
That's what is called a loss leader, sell something at a loss to get customers in the door and make up for it elsewhere. There was an episode of happy days where Mrs.C. had to run the hardware store while Mr. C. was ill (ironic it was a hardware store!) she sold paint at a big loss but made up for it by selling a b*** load of drop cloths, and other paint supplies and made out as a big gain overall....

I went to Lowes a couple months ago and got paint for most of the rooms in my house and paint for the new trim we installed upstairs. Like seriously almost $300 in paint and supplies. I asked the gal mixing my paint if I could get an opener since I misplaced mine. (they used to hand these out) she said they are in aisle whatever for $0.59 each. I told her i would just use a screwdriver.

Locally i like sutherlands for customer service, they are a little more expensive bit are 10 min closer and have a 1% cash back customer loyalty card (kind of like a kroger card).

Also if its anything odd fuses or nuts and bolts, etc that no one else even knows about I can walk into Roaches true value and they know exactly what i need, i just have to dust it off before i take it off the shelf.

NJ.....I believe da-cajun was talking about the majority....sadly, I believe you are in the minority of the teen population, but that is something to be proud of though
Actually, today's teens have a lower rate of drug use, teen pregnancy, etc., and a higher rate of volunteerism than their parent's generation.

Still something to be proud of, but let's not condemn everyone because of the actions of the prominent few ;)

Back
Top Bottom