hardy egg laying hen

lovintheridge

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
I'm so new to becoming a member, not sure if my last post went through, sorry for the repeat. Living in Western NY it gets mighty cold, today we started out at 10 degrees.
big_smile.png
Burr. Our family has raised meat birds before but never egg layers. We've heard horrific stories about how toes have gotten frost bite and so forth. I was hoping I might get some advice as to what breed you might suggest that can with stand the frigged temps as well as produce a yummy egg. They'll be in a barn. thank you

I live in western PA (gets cold here also)

I absolutely hate when they get frost bite!
barnie.gif

I have gone through a few breeds because of Frost Bite!

I have to say
I love my Brahmas the BEST! they don't seem to be affected by the cold
(light Brahmas lay the best)

They have Pea comb (which is real good in cold),
they are kid friendly, don't seem to get into feather picking they are slow growers, given 1/2 a chance they will get most of their food on their own -great foragers

can keep more than 1 Roo they are real docile as a breed (I won't say you will never get one with a bad personality)
love.gif

I also have EE/ameraucanas they also have the pea comb but, mine will not go out in real cold! personalities harder to predict!
I will usually have a few girl rocks around to breed with Brahmas for meat that grows quicker!

also Wyandotte (rose comb) Chanclers (cushion) & Buckeye (pea) (I haven't had either) shouldn't get frost bite because of their combs!

hope I have help
Joanne

Welcome to BYC Lovintheridge! I too am from Western NY-close to the PA boarder. I have 5 BB Orpingtons and although I like their personalities (and yummy eggs) the roo's have normal combs and they can freeze. But I haven't had a problem with their legs or toes. Good Luck with everything and maybe I'll see you around the site!

I am sorry I didn't address toes & feet!

This has happened to a few of mine!!! Plymouth Rock & Rhode Island Reds even though they are cold hardy they still get FB!

Last week I found another RIR with frost bitten toes (it was the first time out of coop in 2 & 1/2 months) so I was able to check everyone out!!!

DH order Buff Orpington for me for Valentines with our Meat birds & I called back & change it to more Brahmas!

basically the toes die, turns black & will fall off! ((not pleasant)) they will hobble around! but, I don't like to look at them so they become soup!
woot.gif

I have to add this has not happened to any of my Brahmas their feather footed & massive body covers their feet when they roost

old.gif
(your roost should be made with 2x4 4inch side up so their feet lie flat while roosting)
I also keep my roost low (12" & 18") Large chickens can get hurt jumping from a roost to high!

Back
Top Bottom