Hardy verses Tolerant. Which is better?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SammyRouen, Nov 5, 2014.

1. SammyRouen

SammyRouen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2014
    So I may sound stupid but does anyone know the difference between a cold hardy bird and a cold tolerent bird? And does a cold hardy bird handle hot weather the same way as a cold tolerant bird? Which is better in a climate that has a range of weather from hot and humid to freezing and dry?
    Any advice will help me decide on my final canidates for breeds to make up my flock for next year!! Thanks! :D

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I don't think there is a difference at all. They can handle the cold or they can't. Froo-froo birds (silkies, sizzles, frizzles, whatever else there is like that) and I suppose breeds with large wattles and combs may not be ideal for extremely cold temperatures. There may be more chance of frostbite with the larger combs and wattles, and I don't know if those other breeds feather out well enough to be able to keep themselves warm. I have had EEs Wyandottes, Brahmas, Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Buckeyes and mutts of all kinds and they've done just fine in a climate like you have described.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where are you located? The majority of chicken breeds can easily tolerate the conditions in all of the US. Anything dual purpose is a sure thing. Mediterranean breeds can risk some frostbite, but good management can usually avoid that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by