Harmful or not?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ana2707, Dec 9, 2015.

1. ana2707

ana2707 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    [​IMG]
    This is the bottom of my Christmas tree and I was wondering if anyone knew if the needles would be harmful to my chickens respiratory system if I put them in my coop mixed with their bedding? I just like to repurpose things so they don't get tossed. Any help would be appreciated.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pines and Spruces are fine. My flock has a lean-to covered in pine branches as an additional shelter area in their run, and lots of people (including me) use pine shavings as bedding in chick brooders.
    It's certain types of cedar that are harmful.

3. ana2707

ana2707 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    I honestly don't know what type of tree it is, I'm assuming it's a pine but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Most christmas trees are pine or spruce.
    But I wouldn't put it in the coop because of moisture content...might put it out in the run.
    Actually, I would toss it out in the woods to rot.....hate that sap getting all over.

5. Macis Papa

Macis Papa Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2015
    Central Iowa
    If you have room I would put it in the run. I like to change things up in their run every so often, it gives them something new to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by