Harness Goats

username taken:
Your does - at 2 yrs old - seem rather small at only 80 - 85 lbs. Thats around 35kg (bear with the metric here) and my boer does usually hit 30 kg around 4 - 5 mths. My 10 mth old I just showed was 51.5kg. Just bear their weight in mind, make sure your cart is a light as possible, and start off with short sessions so as not to overwork them. Also - proper feeding is important - if you are going to be working them, they need to be fed like a working horse. My wethers get a kilogram of grain each per day, normally wethers only need hay but when they are working they need the grain.

My does were about 39 lbs at about 4-5 months. They just don't seem to have really grown a whole lot sense then. I will let you know tomorrow how much they weigh.

The Snyders​

Quote:
Right, but the doe they are out of isn't full Boer (I did look at the pic), and I thought she said she wasn't sure who the daddy was? If he were a mini of some kind-or even a scrub goat, which is quite likely, they wouldn't be nearly as heavy or tall as full boer.

They look very healthy and happy to me.

Well thank you very much! I am going to worm them, weigh them, train them, and trim their hooves later this evening.

The Snyders

Basically it can be any breed. Even a Pygmy or Nigerian, though they can only carry very small loads. Basically it is just a person's preference. Mine are some type of Boer mix.

The Snyders

Our Danish Nubalpine Saanenburg LaManchahasli isn't much of a milker, but it's fast.

IMG_0953_2.jpg

Last edited:
Right, but the doe they are out of isn't full Boer (I did look at the pic), and I thought she said she wasn't sure who the daddy was? If he were a mini of some kind-or even a scrub goat, which is quite likely, they wouldn't be nearly as heavy or tall as full boer.

They look very healthy and happy to me.

Which is exactly the same conclusion I came to ...​

As of tonight my main harness doe, Moswen, weighed 92 lbs. Last time we weighed her, around December, she weighed 75 lbs. By now then she can supposedly pull 138 lbs. total. Our cart weighs about 40 lbs. and I weigh about 115 lbs. so she would only be 17 lbs. over the weight limit. Right now I do not even have her hooked up to the cart, so possibly in another few months (by the time she is actually ready for me to ride in the cart) she should be big enough! I am so excited!
big_smile.png
We also wormed the goats tonight.

The Snyders

Quote:
I think she will be fine, I dont think she will have any problems pulling her. As I said I work my boys over the limit sometimes, too.

Back
Top Bottom