Harvest Gold Turkeys?

Randy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
AR
Anyone raise these? I was looking through a 2009 issue of Grit and there was a write up about them. They were developed using black spanish and regal reds.

This breeders name is Tom T Walker. He was 82 when the story was written so who knows he might not be around now. I looked at the ones on porters and they don't look near as pretty as the one pictured with the article.

Does Grit have a one line copy of the Harvest Gold article? From the article on Regal Reds ( http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Turkeys/RegalRedWalkerDec02.html )Tom T Walker was trying to improve the fertility of the Regal Reds when he started crossing on Black Turkeys. Some of the things in the article that does not make since to me is the results of the first cross. The first cross should look like a rusty black. Is this his description of a rusty black? He says "A Black Spanish tom was mated to a Regal Red hen. In looks, the cross poults were fairly typical Black Spanish in color -- black with a white face. (I have never seen a pure Black Spanish poult, so my description is as described to me.) When grown, these crosses look very much like Bronze; however, there are some differences in color shades and markings. Too, some hens and some toms have an occasional red/reddish feather. Some inherited the red legs of the Regal Red while others did not. The crosses are, of course, 1/2 Black Spanish and 1/2 Regal Red."

The Harvest Gold that Porter sells on his site do not have any black gene. It is just simply a Blackwinged bronze with a red gene. It is not clear if they should have a black gene from reading the article. There is many turkeys colors that seem to have a identity problems like the Lilacs for example.

Without a variety Standard, these can be whatever color the breeder claims they are. That is one reason we need a Standard on each variety. Having a Standard is the main cause for the creation of the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers. So as a breed club, we can develope Standards for varieties not yet in the SOP and work towards their inclusion one day.

It would be benefical to EVERYONE to have a standard. HOpe to see standards developed and published in the near future.

WhenI was trying to figure out which "heritge" turkey to raise, and maybe breed, I had a really hard time as there is no standard. I did figure out that some are crosses with pretty colors and others were from old breeds. MOst I'm still not clear about. HEre's to a SOP for turkeys. Or should it be SOT !

It would be benefical to EVERYONE to have a standard. HOpe to see standards developed and published in the near future.

WhenI was trying to figure out which "heritge" turkey to raise, and maybe breed, I had a really hard time as there is no standard. I did figure out that some are crosses with pretty colors and others were from old breeds. MOst I'm still not clear about. HEre's to a SOP for turkeys. Or should it be SOT !

All turkeys share a Standard for shape/type. It is the size and color that varies. There are only eight varieties currently recognised in the Standard of Perfection (SOP). Just one reason of many we started the Exhibition Turkey Fanciers. The Auburn, Chocolate and Jersey Buff should had been entered years ago. The Jersey Buff by 1960 or so and the Auburn and Chocolate should have been in the 1874 SOP.

The Standard of the Jersey Buff would be the same as the Bourbon Red, just substitute the Buff in place for the Red. The other colors will need someone better than I to draw up a color standard. But it can be done. And should be done! Issue is, to be a new color in the SOP, they must breed true 50% of the time. Will some of these fancy colors breed true? If not, they may be pretty, but not a variety per the SOP.

Just getting Turkeys to a show is difficult. We were unable to attend yesterday's Pine Bluff, Arkansas show. Turkeys were invited but non showed up. Next month's Eldorado Arkansas show does not accept Turkeys. The May 7 Little Rock show does, but will have few.

Jim Hall
Secretary
Exhibition Turkey Fanciers

ETF: The only breed club for Turkeys!

From http://exhibitionturkeyfanciers.bravehost.com

The American Poultry Association currently recognizes the following varieties of Turkeys:

Black

Bourbon Red

Slate

Narragansett

White Holland

Bronze

Beltsville White

Royal Palm

Other varieties may be shown in exhibition, but can only win AOV: "All Other Variety" if a quality standard recognized variety is present.​

Back
Top Bottom