Harvesting a Leghorn rooster

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think so. But you know there's not going to be much meat on him, right? But leghorns never have much meat on them, and I don't know that you'll gain much more if you wait longer.

welcome-byc.gif

Agree there won't be much meat, but there won't be much more if you wait another two months, either. He'll be a great little fryer or on the grill, though.

I understand that there won't be much meat, but we really only want one rooster (especially with ratios of rooster to hen). Figured we would keep the rhode island red rooster over the leghorn. We have plymouth rocks and rhode island red hens. The rooster is our only leghorn.

I understand that there won't be much meat, but we really only want one rooster (especially with ratios of rooster to hen). Figured we would keep the rhode island red rooster over the leghorn. We have plymouth rocks and rhode island red hens. The rooster is our only leghorn.
That sounds like a good choice.

I agree, he would be the one to go were it my flock. As to when, it just depends on how annoying he is and how soon you want to be rid of him.

I have always heard 5 months to butcher....i have a cockerel about his age and he wouldn't offer much meat at all.

Back
Top Bottom