Harvesting my birds tomorrow by myself. First. Time. Ever.

LaylaFlora

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
I've done my research. Have emotionally prepared myself. Now I'm going for it!

3 roos. Have been around for too long. Should have been butchered around July. Been begging my husband to do it but he works 2 jobs and doesn't have the time anymore.

My 6 year old is at Grandma's for the weekend and my 16 year old is spending the night at my sister in laws. I WILL BE ALL ALONE! EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!

Any tips???

I perfer to be alone with my birds on butcher day. Kinda a private thing for me because I'm the one who brought them into this world, gave them a good life then takes them out of this world.
I'm always a little sad afterward but also feel a sense of relief because I don't have to feed and endure any more marauding roosters until the next batch grows up.
Only tip I got is you birds are kinda old so cook them low & slow.

I perfer to be alone with my birds on butcher day. Kinda a private thing for me because I'm the one who brought them into this world, gave them a good life then takes them out of this world.
I'm always a little sad afterward but also feel a sense of relief because I don't have to feed and endure any more marauding roosters until the next batch grows up.
Only tip I got is you birds are kinda old so cook them low & slow.
Thank you for the wisdom. It went as well as it could have but I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN...
hit.gif

Very sad and way too much work.

Its great if you can find someone that wants to eat rooster and old hens. I sell those birds and then buy processed chickens. No mess and far less time for me.

Back
Top Bottom