Harvesting my birds tomorrow by myself. First. Time. Ever.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LaylaFlora, Dec 26, 2014.

1. LaylaFlora

LaylaFlora Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    I've done my research. Have emotionally prepared myself. Now I'm going for it!

3 roos. Have been around for too long. Should have been butchered around July. Been begging my husband to do it but he works 2 jobs and doesn't have the time anymore.

My 6 year old is at Grandma's for the weekend and my 16 year old is spending the night at my sister in laws. I WILL BE ALL ALONE! EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKK!!!

Any tips???

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I perfer to be alone with my birds on butcher day. Kinda a private thing for me because I'm the one who brought them into this world, gave them a good life then takes them out of this world.
    I'm always a little sad afterward but also feel a sense of relief because I don't have to feed and endure any more marauding roosters until the next batch grows up.
    Only tip I got is you birds are kinda old so cook them low & slow.

3. LaylaFlora

Apr 1, 2012
    Thank you for the wisdom. It went as well as it could have but I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN...[​IMG]

Very sad and way too much work.

4. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    gets faster and easier as i understand it. im still working on the courage to take out a non productive layer.

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Its great if you can find someone that wants to eat rooster and old hens. I sell those birds and then buy processed chickens. No mess and far less time for me.

6. LaylaFlora

Apr 1, 2012
    That would be fantastic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by