Has anbody here tried one of the Sunny Side Up Incubators for 6 eggs?

I need to add my 2 cents in here. I have been watching that one for a while and considered ordering it, UNTIL all I am hearing is the horrors of this little machine. Evidently it is a bulb with some tin foil behind it and has no real temp. regulator so the temp fluctuates in both direction and not reliable at all. Be careful. Ive heard it has spiked to 120 and down to 65 in 1 hour.

Hey no disrespect to anyone.but it sees like people here havent really used the incubator so im ordering it today and will attempt to hatch my dutch bantams eggs let u know the pros and cons and if it works ....its only 20$ lol why not try?

Hey no disrespect to anyone.but it sees like people here havent really used the incubator so im ordering it today and will attempt to hatch my dutch bantams eggs let u know the pros and cons and if it works ....its only 20$ lol why not try?

Most of us wouldn't try, because with the help of others, you could spend a little bit more for a homemade incubator that would

1.) Give you better hatches

2.) Hold more eggs

3.) Be something you put your own work into

There is only 1 person I know of that has used it, and said it didn't hatch any of the eggs they placed in it.

BTW, Building your own incubator is fun, and rewarding.

The incubator arrived last week. For 2 days, the temperature held steady and was ready for the eggs. I purchased 6 Silkie eggs and put them in the unit. The temperature has fluctuated up and down, so much, that I'm afraid my eggs have been cooked. Would never have wasted the money, had I known how terrible the incubator is to control the temperature. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. :(:(

I had 1 of these for my very 1st hatch. Got rid of it right after. It cooked half of my eggs & left the rest so cold they never developed. There is no temp control, no humidity control, no room for larger eggs. The end of your egg closest to the bulb gets cooked & the other end is ice cold. When you flip the eggs end-over-end as the directions indicate, all you end up with is a cooked spot on BOTH ends of your eggs. I didn't have a single egg even begin to develop. The other incubator (1 of the styrofoam models) I set up about 3 days later had about 80% hatch rate. Since then, I have gotten 3 more of the styrofoam bators, 3 different brands & models, and have had up to 100% hatches, averaging around 85-90%, in all 4 of the bators. Brand really doesn't seem to be an issue with a still air model with hand turned eggs. I can't say if forced air or turners make a difference or not as I have never used either.

Yea, Everyone bashes the LG's but I've had several hatches now with mine and have not had less than about 65% and that is with shipped eggs and a hurricane knocking power out. With my own fresh eggs I have had close to 100% and those without 100% is mostly due to a non-fertile egg here and there. All incubators have things that have to be done to make a successful hatch. Just know that no matter what brand the cheaper the model the more that has to be done to get a successful hatch. This $20 probably you'd have to sit there and constantly adjust which isn't worth it when you can either build your own or spend just a little more for an LG or hoverbator.

There ISN'T a way to adjust temps. You have to open & close the lid or drill holes in the lid & then cover them with tape. In order to figure out what your temps will run WITH eggs in it you have to ruin several batches of eggs to find out. ABSOLUTELY NOT worth putting the money into just to ruin eggs. Spend the other $15 to begin with & get a better bator. You can find several brands of styrofoam bators for about $30-40. No turners or fans included of course, but this 1 doesn't have those either.

I am worried now because I just purchased sunny side. I am doing this for a homeschool project, so we only need room for 6 eggs. We will keep the chickens, but won't be hatching more afterwards. I'm not really crafty, so building one with the help of 3 kids (9 and 11) isn't an option. When I checked the prices for materials out at HD, it was going to be about $50 and then I'd have to figure out how to build it. Locally, my only option was an incubator for app 40 eggs and cost $50. Should I cancel my order--if so any options?

Back
Top Bottom