Has any one used a TX ranch-coop

baklilchicks

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
We have a 4x8 feet and 50" tall coop on order from ranch-coop.com. We Will be making a run for our chickens. we have cats and a dog, but we also have red tail hawks. So the run will have a cover. What I wanted to know if any love this coop or just hated it. We will be housing 2 leghorns,2 RI reds, 3 Australorps and 1 Orpington in it. we looked into making our own coop but it would run us about $850 to $900. the coop is made of ceder and hard ware cloth.

Have one of these coops for our brooded. I love these cool shaped coops. They are great quality and easy to winterized. The owner of the company pat is extremely nice and they a are great price would definitely recommend these coops to anyone.

I dont own one but got to see one of their coops (not sure if it the same one you ordered) and one of their brooders.
I would consider it a tractor instead of a coop. Its very simple and not much to it. Triangle shaped with the upper half just a nest box and roosts. It was decent materials and decently put together. IMO it was a little cheap and sloppy in a few spots. I believe the only part that was cedar was the roof which looked to be cedar fence pickets. Like the other poster said it needs to be winterized and maybe ever rain proofed a bit.
Better built and better materials then a lot of coops out there but that it too was way over priced for what it was. $490 for a coop with $100 or a little more in materials.

The brooder was really poor. Website boosts 99% survival rate. Really? I think thats really misleading way to many factors involved to claim that. I thought it was very cheap and poorly designed. Too much chance for dafts. Light inside is too low. Worse thing was the door. Its a hole cut in hardware cloth with a poorly cut piece of wood as the door. The hardware cloth cuts your arm reaching in and out and one chick got stuck trying to sneak through the gap. $199 is a ridiculous price for it.

awesome! we are new to having chickens. we were mooching eggs from a friend who rents a place that had a chicken coop when he moved in. He has 50 chickens, but the Idea is to sell their eggs. He never charges Us so we feel bad. We don't ask every week but, it was offend. In a few months we will have our little girls laying. We also have expanded our garden by adding a second bed to it. I also have stated raspberries and blackberries this year. I"m hopping to get a small crop of raspberries in the fall and blackberries next year.
Were we live the winter is mild we do get a few weeks that have a freezing temps at night. We put in a winter garden here of carrots, kale, and lettuces. Our winters are mild. It our summers heat that has me worried our average temperature is 97, but we do get weeks of 100 plus. So we our going to put the coop in the shadiest part of the yard, That will get morning sun only, We may need a fan or I have seen some who will set up misters to beet the heat.
thanks

So, when I build my coop, do I want the roost higher, lower, or level with the nest boxes and is it ok if the roost is outside of the coop in the summer. Will they sleep outside or do I need to make my coop big enough for them to roost and nest inside? Any advice will be muc appreciated. Thank you so much for any help.

I'm still new but, from what I have read there are some chicken that need 4 wall to feel safe. other chickens like out side. I would have booth options. you will want a inside roost inside for winter anyway. You could see if the chickens are tiered the next day after a night out. I would open the coop up the next day and see if the chickens go inside and sleep. I hope that helps

My chicks are 6 weeks right now and I have them in a pen thats about 6X12. I built a coop and put in the pen that's 5 ft long, 2.5 ft wide, and 2.5 tall and it's sitting on legs about 3ft off the ground. It has a door on the front with a ramp goin to the door. The chicks sleep in a corner under the coop. How can I train them to go in the coop to sleep. They are eventually gonna be free range to do whatever they want. Do you think I should enlose 3 sides of the bottom and put my nest box down there and the roosting stick in the top coop? I don't plan on letting them out to free range until I can get them to consistently roost in the coop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom