Has anybody ever done chicken sitting?

Im a bad businessman but think about this. You are charging a very low rate, you may do better in the long run by just networking with people and if they leave town, they will probally offer money or return the favor (or another favor such as free chicks or some feed, whatever). You may just come out better in the end rather than trying to make it a business.

With that said, dogsitting has been a booming business here in WI, people are paying stupid money to have somebody take care of a dog. I just seen a farm convert the barn into a spa for dogs and I bet it makes a killing. Chickens have to be a much smaller market but I bet after some time of hearing how people pay X amount of money to have a dog taken care of, they will start paying the same for chicken care. Not right away but soon.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Hi, V Chic Chick!

I live in the States and had an awesome pet sitter look after my two huge dogs (Great Dane and Lab). (We didn't have any other animals then.)

She charged $13 a visit for the both of them and we would have her come 4-5 times a day. It's more expensive than kenneling, but the peace of mind of keeping my dogs in their own world was worth it. Of course, we'd only do this 6-8 times a year for a day or two.

I don't think you could get as much for sitting chickens, but don't sell yourself short by going cheap either. Think about how much time you would spend at each home as well as your travel time.

Best of luck!

lkagop, $13 sounds cheap for a in home visit, that must be a very close person to you. Around here, $30 a day per animal is going rate for a pet hotel and $20 or so to have someone watch the animal at thier house (just somebody who does it as a sideline, not a business).

Another idea for pricing is just to ask the other people you know that have pets/chickens if they want to travel and what they think is a reasonable cost versus expectations for care. And what they are spending now if they board pets.

Also, since you are young, I would consider using word of mouth advertising from the vet or other people you network with, rather than post your phone number. That would reduce the number of calls to serious inquiries and avoid some of the cranks and weirdos.

We just got back from a 3 day vacation. We saved $40 by not boarding our cats and instead brought back that much value in beads and bright sparklies for our crafty neighbor who tended the chickens and cats. She was refusing cash payment but couldn't turn away from shell beads and such!

Hi, usbr. The lady we hired did pet-sitting full time. If you add 4-5 visits at $13/day, it's anywhere from $50-$65 a day plus a tip. So, I'd gleefully pay $20 to go to someone's house or $30 for a pet hotel. We just don't have those in my area. :-( Thanks for the info.

Before I got my awesome neighbors that watch my house and animals for all the eggs and garden vegetables (and the return favor when they're out of town)....I used to hire a young lad down the road.

He got paid $5 per visit and the expectation was that he let the chickens out in the morning, checked feed and water...then he had to lock them up at night (within 1hour of sunset)...again check water and feed.

Some people told me that was far too much to pay...but since he had chickens himself, I knew he would be responsible. He ended up doing extras like filling the wild bird feeders and watering the flowers.

Had I hired a "pet sitter"- it would have cost $20-40 per day and no guarantee that they had even taken care of a chicken before.

$10/day for peace of mind while I was away was a bargain. Then again, it depends on your market.

I'd start by speaking with your neighbors and they likely know others with chickens and such. Word of mouth gets you "better customers".

What if a pet dies? this happens more often than most folks realize. Be sure that you have instructions from the owners on what to do for emergencies....phone number of the their vet's office, a note authorizing treatment/payment, and their contact info while away.

Good luck on your endeavor

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom