has anybody ever tried this?

thanks for all the feedback. The idea was more for extending the light hours rather than any heat to come off the things. I have been told if it's too cold for them to be out, they'll more than likely stay in the house where it's warmer. I wasn't going to heat the thing up to 50, just want something if it stays way below freezing for multiple days. The christmas tree lights are just supposed to be on early morning to give them more light during the day. Seems like it will work, and the dh always gets his own way anyway, so I expect we'll be trying it out.

do not try and heat the coop! you will have too many issues when you either have a power outage if it is electrical heaters or if you couldn't get to the heat source if it ever failed. it is also a liability if it caught fire. so please so not use anything like a brooder lamp with a heat bulb since those can be very dangerous with the dust that the chickens can kick up. chickens will get stressed and sick if you do not allow them to adjust naturally to the cold temperatures.

chickens have their own insulated down coat and will be fine as long as you cover their combs and wattles with Vasalene(sp?) on predicted cold days to keep them from getting frostbite. and give them a roost that is made from a 2x4 with the longer side flat so they can roost on their feet to cover their toes. i am fine with using and insulated coop, but be careful what you use for the insulation. it can be difficult to find formaldehyde free stuff in our area. seems like only one place carries it and they are always sold out!

yes, the white x-mas lights will work. i suggest putting them on a timer for the extra hours you would like to keep them running. the birds will catch onto the pattern and know when it is time to come in to play or roost in the house. my old set of lights finally died on me this year so i switched over to the LED version of white lights and so far it seems ok but i don't like the color of them. just doesn't have that nice warm glow of the traditional lights. the traditional lights did not give off any heat and if one light went out the rest of the strand stayed lit. just make sure to tape off the end of the light strand so dust does not get into the outlet end.

I use solar power lights in my enclosed run, no one has ever tried to peck at them, however they are fancy shaped and I catch my hair in them often lol. We also use solar power spot lights in the coop and in our dog run and back yard. I don't know how much sunlight you get so may not even be an option, but the solar works great here!

Back
Top Bottom