Has anyone built vertically for their runs?

alpinewelsummer

Songster
Mar 15, 2021
Just something the occurred to me today and I got curious about it; has anyone ever expanded their chicken run or added more space to it by building upwards/adding an extra level like you might with a rabbit run?

I don't know if anyone has. I'd be dubious about it because, while perches and platforms in the run can make the space more interesting and enhance the usability of the run, chickens are, ultimately, creatures of the forest floor.

I have one chicken who likes to get up on the roof of the feeder/waterer shelter and play lookout, and I regularly see some of them perching on various other run structures, but they spend 80-90% of their time on the ground, scratching for food, digging dust baths, lounging, etc. :)

I don't know if anyone has. I'd be dubious about it because, while perches and platforms in the run can make the space more interesting and enhance the usability of the run, chickens are, ultimately, creatures of the forest floor.

I have one chicken who likes to get up on the roof of the feeder/waterer shelter and play lookout, and I regularly see some of them perching on various other run structures, but they spend 80-90% of their time on the ground, scratching for food, digging dust baths, lounging, etc. :)

Hmmmm, so what you're saying is each level needs to be a miniature garden, soil and all. What an exciting challenge. 😄

Jokes aside, that totally makes sense. Thank you for the response!

Back
Top Bottom